2022: A Review

 



January was a dismal grey winter, again confined in another covid lockdown. Not a great start to the year. But I was still happy to be able to ride, whenever I could. I found that mucking out this winter was much easier than before, after my surgery, no little niggles or having to take breaks. Looks like I was harbouring a slipped disc for quite a while!

We started the year wet and muddy
We started the year wet and muddy

Dark winter
Dark winter evenings


In January I bit the bullet and took the boys to our first competition in over a year. We ventured down to Milchem Equestrian Centre for some combined training. Fred did dressage only and although not fit enough was such a good boy as some other horses proved very ‘fresh’ in the warm up. He was so happy to be back between the boards and strutting around. Cu Chulainn was a bit wired and couldn’t relax in the warm up for the dressage, which was fair, but tried his hardest. I went around the arena with a big smile planted on my face, just so darn happy to be out and be able to ride my horses at a competition again. We had a break before the jumping section. There were a lot of jumps and some were xc jumps, water, logs, etc. I tried not to overthink it (a habit formed over a lifetime). I gave him literally three warm up jumps and in we went for our FIRST jump since April 2021. I mean, not a bit of practice. Just in at the deep end. He was SUPER excited to be allowed jump and nearly jumped me out of the saddle on a few occasions! It was out of control and I lost a stirrup at one stage, but he left every pole up and a smile on my face from ear to ear. A resounding success as a first outing. No unofficial dismounts!

Post competition smiles
Post competition smiles


After that it was a while before we got out again. I worked away with them myself and I hired out arenas to practice jumping. In February myself and Cu Chulainn headed northwest for a wonderful weekend with my friend Rachel and her horse Kleo. In the shadow of Benbulben we ventured off to get our(his only preferably) hooves wet. Beautiful blue skies accompanied us as we walked along the beach with the waves lapping at their feet. They waited until we got right beside an audience of surfers and walkers to take off and nearly leave us on the sand! The big ejection button wasn't pressed!! Once my heart returned to normal, I was able to laugh.

The scenery there was truly magnificent.

Beautiful views



 
Beautiful views


I brought Cu Chulainn for some flatwork lessons and tried out a stronger bit temporarily. I changed my riding slightly and we had a new method of communication, less stress (as I’m writing this I’m planning flatwork lessons for January!).

Fred early morning
Fred, early morning


I had a little miscommunication with Cu Chulainn in April while schooling and I tested out the sand in the arena. It gets harder to bounce as you get older (note to self, let go of the reins)!! But all was fine and he popped it once he understood that we were jumping!


In May I had my first lesson back with Seamus. The excitement of having a lesson and a jump lesson was palpable! I could not wait! It went spectacularly. Cu Chulainn was flying! He was in his element and I was no longer holding on for dear life and just trusting him - some benefits to being out of the saddle for 5 months apparently! I left on cloud 9 and didn't come down for awhile. 

Flying Cu Chulainn Airlines
Flying Cu Chulainn Airlines

We made our return to competition two weeks later, attending the Athenry Agricultural Show. I was at it once years ago, the day after Guns n Roses in Slane! This time I had both boys entered, Fred in lightweight hunter and Cu Chulainn in the in-hand coloured class and two working hunter classes. I went for the 80s and 90s because I’m just back jumping and he has no shoes and it’s on grass, so weather depending, people could be getting dinner and a show!


It was a rude awakening for me. I had completely forgotten the negative elements of agricultural shows, such as being at complete opposite ends of the showgrounds for classes. Or having classes clash. When we got there we started to get them ready. I luckily had my friend Caroline as my groom. Cu Chulainn was up first, the very very far end of the showgrounds. I cut the back of my heels getting to the class. The judges were late to the ring and it was getting close to Fred’s class. But Cu Chulainn earned himself a red rosette which made the loss of layers of skin somewhat worthwhile. I had to race back then to get on Fred and miss the championship for the in-hand. The class ahead of his was a bit longer than I expected which meant we got a nice warm up. He went so lovely in the class, but wasn’t pulled in. I still had a big smile on my face. This time a year ago I could barely walk and only at an angle! We then had to wait HOURS for the working hunter. I had a nap. I ate. The boys had a few grass breaks. By the time my class was ready, I was the only one in the warm up and they were calling me in. I just about got a few warm up jumps. I don’t know about you, but when I’m tired and hungry I get more anxious and uneasy. So I was pretty nervous when it came to jumping. I'd been watching the ponies earlier and I knew the course was tight. The only thing was I trusted Cu Chulainn completely and knew he knew his job (even if I didn't). We took the first jump nice and easy but it was bang bang bang until the fourth one. That was a downhill double that had gone wrong for many throughout the day, but we cleared it and I started to enjoy it and relax. Cu Chulainn is also like me and when he’s tired he gets a bit more anxious and wants everything over QUICKLY. So it was all over in the blink of an eye. We’d done it! And left all the poles up! Even better though, he got pulled in FIRST again! I stayed in the arena after the prize giving and did my next round straight away, best get it over and done with. Again he went clear like the star bar he is. I promptly got off him and loosened the girth and let him chill whilst the others jumped. I reluctantly got back up for the results. He came first again! Triple reds! Red in every class! Wahoo!! I didn’t stick around for the championship as if I had I wouldn’t have been able to drive home. It was 9pm when we left, absolutely exhausted. But happy.






In June I brought Cu Chulainn to Mullingar for some more working hunter. He was a star again and didn’t touch a pole. He hadn’t touched a pole yet all year, even in warm ups. We didn’t get pulled in, but my god did he give me some air time. Unfortunately, it was pretty dry and dusty there that day and he developed a dust allergy - which was cleared up nicely by an essential oil concoction (thanks Wendy!). We were due to go to the Athlone agri show the next day, but had to cancel. Unfortunately Fred was lame too, so he couldn’t go either.



Fred


This year I decided to be more consistent with Fred. He can feel a bit off sometimes and I’m always worrying it’s his arthritis (he's had it 8 years now). What I found though it that he needs a good warm up with lateral work, always. His joints just take a little bit longer to warm up. None of us are getting any younger! Working more consistently with him meant he was going the best he had in years, possibly ever with me. We had a lot of fun doing flatwork (yes I did say fun!!). Regrettably there were no dressage shows on near me that I could go to, any time they were near I had something else on. So we didn’t get to dressage. I had intended on doing some online dressage with him but then life got in the way. He loves to show off, so I like to get him out and about. 

July was a bit busier with competitions. Myself and Cu Chulainn headed down to Ardrahan agricultural show for some more working hunter. He flew it again and came second and third in the 90 and 1m classes. It was an absolute roaster of a day but I had timed it perfectly, my first class started within 15 mins of me getting there and the two classes ran pretty quickly.


I bit the bullet and re-joined Show Jumping Ireland. I figured I might as well as there would be leagues on near me and more competitions near me that I could go to (how bloody wrong I was!). Ballinasloe were hosting a 5* show. I entered the 85-90 and 1m class. I had one down in the first class which really annoyed me. I messed with our flow and it resulted in having one down. So the next class I was determined to go clear, I had to leave him alone as much as I could and let him shine. Now I should say I had a few glasses of wine the night before (why?!?) and was feeling dehydrated which was exasperated by the scorching sun beating down on us – the only time I’m glad we have to wear white/beige jodphurs. Dehydration and exercise = very little energy. Even if I wanted to I couldn't have messed with him, I was just along for the ride! So the dehydration benefitted me and the next round went far better. I left him alone and let him do his job. He did it exceptionally fast though and we ended up coming fourth! Our first SJI show and we got a rosette!


August was a busy horsey month. It was the first time since 2019 that the Dublin Horse Show was on as normal. I got myself a week ticket to fully immerse myself and enjoy every moment. I had a great week and clocked up some serious steps. I didn’t buy much, but I wasn’t there for the shopping. I was there for the all the rest. I got to meet up with friends and watch some fabulous horses in action. One of my favourite things to do is watch the warm ups to see how the professionals do it- can you believe you have to pay extra to watch that at other Internationals! The weather was on our side too, not too hot and not too cold. I watched everything from Connemara stallion parade to racehorse to riding horse and everything in between. I was there at 8am two days in a row! I got great information from stands on nutrition and supplements. I left tired and happy and completely exhausted! The ultimate horseshow hangover.

Tree

Ring One


One last look over

New hat


The following week myself and Cu Chulainn ventured east to the Munny Trail in Co. Wicklow to go glamping with friends. I was so happy to be able to go and bring a horse this year after being on foot/bike the year before. We both had an absolute ball. He loved the hills, the gallops and jumps, and I loved those and the wine and food with the ladies! I would highly recommend going with a bunch of friends, great for catch ups!





I finished that week off with the Moate agricultural show. Which after a few days of galloping in a group of horses, wasn’t probably the best idea! I had the two boys at it, but Freds class clashed with Cu Chulainns in-hand, so I had to put him back in the box. Cu Chulainn came second in it at least. It was another long wait to jumping and he was not in the humour. Eventually the class started. The reason they were extra long is the judge was actually riding the horses and putting them over a jump, which I had never seen! He tried his best and left up all the jumps and we managed a top 6 placing in one class. The judge really liked him, said 'he really takes you to the jump', which obviously delighted me. Compliment a horse owner on their horse and they will melt in front of you, it's a fact. We were both delighted to get home that evening.


In September I spotted a SJI competition in Tubberbride, Sligo that I could bring Cu Chulainn to. I have a bit of a mental block when it comes to this venue. I hate not being able to see the arena from outside it and I find the arena small but jampacked with jumps. So before I decided for sure if I was entering I thought it best to go for a lesson with Seamus. After a summer of doing mostly working hunter, a course of 9 or 10 jumps that pretty much led into each other, I found it really difficult to memorise the course in the lesson. Apart from that it went really well, with Cu Chulainn giving me some serious air time, despite his big belly!! My difficulty with my memory didn’t end at the lesson. I found it very hard at the show and as it is a small tight arena, there is no room for error. I didn’t get the turns I wanted in the 1m class and momentarily lost my way once or twice, which didn't help the cause. We had one down but I was still happy overall, obviously he was great, but I was happy with myself. I got over my mental block, it was just the memory that let me down! He was very fast and it was over in a flash, I'd say I took one breath! The 90 class was later on, which was a bit annoying as I’d hoped to use it as a warm up to ease us(me!) back in. I still had a lack of confidence in my memory but managed to remember the course. He went clear and fast, and was third overall out of 40 odd horses. Another good day out. 

The last jump


Flying Cu Chulainn air
Flying Cu Chulainn air

Tired after our trip to Sligo, I still had to get up early and give the two a good clean, as it was time for our last agri show of the year, Ballinasloe! Not having to travel far was the only reason I was doing it. Fred was in the lightweight and Cu Chulainn was in working hunter. Unfortunately Fred had a massive trip in his show piece for his class, he was fine, we carried on, but it's not really something the judges favour. I should have gone home at that point and come back later with Cu Chulainn, but it's so hard to know. It didn't look like there were many ahead of his class, but yet it was another long day of waiting. The course was TIIIIIIIIIIIGHT. So tight that I missed a jump in my first class. I just had no room, or so I thought. When I went to do it in the next class the jump came up wrong AGAIN, but this time I squeezed instead of giving up and he popped it, like a champ. After another long day, he was not into standing around, but managed to come second in the class!

Tail plaits
I like big butts and I cannot lie.......


I hadn’t anticipated it being our last day out for 2022, but unfortunately, such is life. There wasn't as many competitions as I thought locally and with the price of diesel I can’t really justify going too far.  

We’re smack bang in the middle of winter and dark mornings and evenings now, so riding is a luxury at the minute. But, I’m making plans for next year now. Milchem are doing their combined training again and I’m determined to be more prepared for it this year. I think I’ll try to bring the two again. I’m planning flatwork lessons for January for Cu Chulainn, but that will mean getting him fit between now and then. Fred needs fitness and suppleness work. 

2022 surpassed my expectations by a mile. Although the goalposts changed as the year went on (a good thing!) and I was able for more and more, I achieved everything I wanted to and beyond. To be back out jumping, competing and placing after the state I was in last year is just fantastic. I had Fred 10 years this year, 8 of which he’s had arthritis. To have him to be in the best shape he’s been in and feeling great gives me a burning desire to return to dressage. 

Plans are already in motion for 2023 and boy does it feel good!

 


Comments

Popular Posts