2023: A Review

 

Hi There!

 

It’s been a while! How have you all been? I don’t know why I haven’t written in ages, I miss writing. I guess like everything, it’s time, motivation and energy? That’s what the pandemic and lockdowns taught us. We all had time on our hands but things didn’t always get done, because motivation and energy are just as important. But anyway, enough about that, back to horses!  

Sunset feels

(I wrote this BEFORE the Christmas break and still didn’t manage to get it out!!)

January

Rainy sunshine
Rainy sunshine

Zero excitement really. The usual craic, mucking out, darkness, and trying to ride when I can. Brushing off the mud just where the tack hits and all of us generally looking haggard and weather beaten.  

Hacking out
Hacking out

February

Kicked off the month with a climb up Cuilcagh, Stairway to Heaven, to watch the sunrise with my friend Caroline. It was baltic, but dry and my god was it tough going for a novice like myself, but boy was it worth it. We promised to do more of this in 2023. Spoiler alert. We did not….. 

Selfie at the top
Selfie at the top
The last few steps
The last few steps


Again, nothing exciting with the horses. Just riding as much as I could in the mornings. I earmarked a dressage competition in March for Fred, so we were working towards that.

March

Fred kicked off our competitive year with a return to dressage. I had forgotten how tough dressage really is. I was nervous that I’d forget my tests. I managed to remember them and we had a lovely spin around. He and I were certainly not fit enough for proper dressage, but it was so nice to get back to it.

Fred & I after dressage
Fred & I after dressage

The following week, after a morning of dramatics myself and Cu Chulainn headed off to go jumping in Glenamaddy at the Winter Stars Tour. The morning dramatics were the boys escaping their field into the field behind which was mahoosive and had only one gate, which was at the other end. When I eventually caught them I had to bring them home via the road for 2km……..the joys.

Cu Chulainn made up for his morning behaviour by being an absolute star bar in jumping. We just did the two smallest classes because we’d only had our first jump since September the weekend before! He was double clear and a little faster than I may have wanted in our second class! We also met for the first time the lovely Aoileann who has been my SJ buddy all year!

I took the plunge and rejoined Showjumping Ireland (SJI). This was going to be the year for our full return to showjumping. I went to Glenamaddy again to one of their league shows before the end of the month. I got up on him too early though and he got antsy and agitated so our rounds were a little bit tense and out of whack. Got to close to the one on the 90cm round and knocked it. Still a good start to our return.

 

Selfie

April

Annoyingly there is nowhere near to me doing SJI currently, years ago there was a choice of where to go. I decided to head down to Duffy’s in Claregalway as they always have nice courses and are so nice down there. We did a few weeks of the league and my confidence grew. 

The best view
The best view

I went back to Seamus for lessons once I had a few weeks under my belt of jumping. I didn’t want to go back too fresh. The lesson went really well and I was feeling more confident. But then I went to the competition and focused too much on being relaxed and ended up with no leg on at all, which made Cu Chulainn a bit confused, do you want me to jump or not like??

He gave himself a nice little cut just along the foot which took a while to heal, so that put us off games for a little while.

Fred looking well
Fred looking well


May

I finished out the league and got a little bit too excited in the final and taking turns and ended up testing the ground. Nothing like horses to bring you back to earth with a bang! We did come second though in the other class.

Second place selfie
Second place selfie

We popped in to Athenry ag show to do some in hand showing and then headed over to Duffy’s for the amateur class. He won in Athenry and got a nice frilly. We got a lovely clear in the first round and got through to the jump off. Unfortunately, I completely psyched myself out and it fell to pieces in the jump off. It was my first one in years, so I didn’t mind too much.

First place selfie
First place selfie

June

I had a lesson in which I fell off THREE times. I didn’t hurt myself, but I fell off so easily, like a beginner. I think I figured out what it was afterwards. I had started doing a lot more gym classes – to get fitter and stronger – but it ended up hampering me. All the squats and what not that we were doing meant that my quads got bigger and my calves did not. I couldn’t grip with my lower legs and my heels kept coming up, which meant I was losing my stirrups or fighting to keep them. Heading towards a related distance when you are fighting with your feet for your stirrups is not a great feeling and didn’t give me the most confidence which filtered down to Cu Chulainn.

Practice, practice, practice
Practice, practice, practice


Our first show of the month was Headford on grass. Although I ride on grass all the time I think it was a bit much to jump on it without the shoes. It was a bit slippy and I was probably overthinking it (shocker!) which led to me getting tense and as a result him. We still came 3rd in the amateur class which was great.

Yay rosette
Yay rosette

Next up was Duffy’s again. I had started using a whip with Cu Chulainn since my last lesson and really it was unnecessary. He doesn’t need it and I was using it as a crutch instead of using my legs. I had one down in the 1m and then it was my first 1.10 and again, I psyched myself out and let it all go a bit hairy.

Fred, although not competing is doing brilliantly and feeling great. We tip along doing our lateral work to keep him in good shape and feeling good.

June also brought two new kittens to the squad, Bert and Ernie, two brothers, black with slight differences and totally adorable.

Bert & Ernie
Bert & Ernie

July

Our next outing was Duffy’s again, but it was the National Amateur competition. I completely redeemed myself and went double clear in both classes and managed a 3rd in one of them! I didn’t go hell for leather on my jump off, but tried to get as good turns as I could. I was on cloud 9. He was such a star. When I get my sh*t together he can do it, it’s just me that trips us up. But shur lookit, aren’t we all just trying out best?

We finished out July by heading up to Cavan. A place I hadn’t been since a disastrous weekend at the amateurs in 2019. Disastrous might be a tad dramatic. There were no falls or big issues, but it really knocked my confidence for a while. So, on my new found run of confidence, I decided to head up. Just for the one day because I wasn’t that interested in the competitions on the Sunday and honestly, who can afford two days at a competition now. I arrived just in time to see Aoileann do her round of the competition I had entered. God I thought, she’s really flying it in her first round, maybe she’s testing him out? Oh no Aisling, it’s just that you are a dope and actually entered a one round speed class, thinking it was a welcome stakes. Ooops. There’s was nothing for it but to go in and give it socks. He totally flew it and took tighter turns then I had intended (who’s driving the bus here??). We ended up in 4th! They only placed 1st to 3rd unfortunately. We had a nice little break till our next class. So myself and Rusty watched other jumpers with the girls until it was time to learn our course. He jumped a class clear and we were into the jump off. I studied the course and decided on my route for it but didn’t realise that they were actually taking out jumps that I was going to go around, which messed with my head (honestly, anything can set you off when you’re a nervous nelly) and put me off a bit. I ended up cutting it too tight to a double and we had it down but still managed a decent time to come 10th. A great turnaround from our last performance in Cavan. Big smiles all the way home.

 

In action

In action


August

The August bank holiday brought a new horse to the team. Annaghbeg Misneach, a yearling sport horse filly, finally arrived. The poor thing only left her mother and herd for the first time when she came to me. She travelled so well. The introductions were tricky. Cu Chulainn was fine, Fred less so. As head of the herd it takes him a while to let in new horses and it had been just the two of them for so long.

Annaghbeg Misneach

Annaghbeg Misneach



I just went for the one day to the Dublin Horse Show this year, but it didn’t disappoint. Saw and did loads and met loads of people. That Sunday then I brought the two boys to the Tullamore Show.  They didn’t have online entries as normal so everyone had to queue up in the morning. It was a mess and by the time I got entered it was getting close to my first class. Fred was a delight in the lightweight hunter, he just loves that kind of thing. Unfortunately the judges didn’t think he was a lightweight. Cu Chulainn expressed to me how much he hates showing and no he had not had a change of heart as he has matured. So, yeah that didn’t go well. I was planning on doing the working hunter, but it was going to be hours so I packed up and left. Write it off.

Myself and Fred headed off down south to go glamping with my horsey ladies to the Munny Trail in Wicklow. I brought Fred because I knew he’d love the getaway and you don’t have to jump, because he doesn’t jump anymore. Also Cu Chulainn had done enough work over the summer and deserved the break. Fred had an absolute ball and was such a good boy. He even gave a quick spin to Tracey who is no longer riding. We were out for hours on the trails, up and down big hills, all sorts of different terrain. It was great and we got good weather!

The best  boy
The best  boy


Back to the jumping again. This time we returned to Glenamaddy for an amateur class in their league and I entered the 1.10 too. But then the classes were running very late and the more time I had to think the more I thought 1.10 is a bit much after a month away from jumping, so I changed it to the 1m. Thankfully I did as we had a little miscommunication which resulted in a stop, at the very last fence… The amateur class went better and we got through to the jump off. I got too close to a double again and then didn’t support for another jump where he stopped. Pat on the back for him, whack on the back for me.

Fast forward to Duffy’s the following week and I did the same stupid mistake, and not just once! I fell off in the warm up AND the competition. What a shmuck. I was really just not riding properly at all. I gave myself a little kick up the arse and when I went back in I actually rode him correctly. We’d a lovely double clear and although not fast we were in the placings for a good while. I didn’t care once I was able to say I rode properly.

The herd
The herd


September

I had a lesson with Seamus working on jump offs, angles, turns etc. It was a great lesson and Cu Chulainn was awesome. I qualified for the Farmers Journal final in Mullingar but I wasn’t sure about going. When I looked at classes there wasn’t a great selection for me and to be honest, it’s one of those venues that I don’t particularly enjoy.

I decided not to go as I had the Munster indoor amateur show and Cavan amateur show coming up and then we would finish off and he would have a nice little holiday for himself. Well, he had other ideas. He went lame, not very lame but enough for no jumping. His holidays came early and that was our season over.

He’s back in work now, although I can’t really call it work because it’s just whenever I have daylight and weather on my side that I can ride. Fred is the same. They are furry and rugged and happy out, showing Misneach the ropes.

I tried to do little bits with Misneach throughout September. Getting her used to putting on the headcollar (yip, it was all new to her). Walking her in hand by herself. Grooming her. Putting the rug on and off her – when the dip in temperature came she started to shiver, which was understandable considering she’d left a big herd and her mammy. So she got herself her own little rug, which she took to so quickly. She didn’t spook. She really has taken on everything very well, considering what an upheaval it has been for her. Even getting hard feed was foreign to her, but it sure didn’t take her long to cop on to it! She loves her grub! 

Halter practice
Halter practice

Baby's first rug
Baby's first rug

She had her first show at the end of September at the Ballinasloe Agricultural Show. I took her on a little solo trip in the box over the road to Creagh Equestrian Centre the week before, just because she hadn’t been in the box since she left where she came from, and she travelled very well. She was a little star at the show as there was SO much going on, the All-Ireland finals of a lot of classes were on so there was a lot to take in for her. She was the only one in her class, but she showed her class and did a wonderful job. It was a great education for her and I hope to do more of the same next year with her.

 

All set for her first competition
All set for her first competition

October

To be honest from this point on we just tipped along at home, nothing majorly exciting. That is except for the new arrival to the squad…….

Cuan (Irish for little hound) is a jack Russell terrier cross and his granny is Rusty’s mother! The two boys are best buds and love playing and adventuring together. Cuan also loves playing wrestling with the cats, it’s debatable how much they love it though!!

 


Cu Chulainn landscape
Cu Chulainn landscape

November

The crew have stayed all of October, which was great. But it was time to stable them at night. This also meant having to do a clear up to make room for Misneach. Another new thing for her, stabling! As the days get darker it gets harder and harder to ride, especially with having a full time job that isn't near home. Thankfully I do get to work from home some days, but the work load adds up. I don't think it stopped bloody raining all month. SICK TO DEATH OF WINTER.

Where's dinner?
Where's dinner?

 
Sunset
Sunset


December
Pretty much zero riding. Miserable weather and non stop workload. All work and no play make Aisling a dull girl. New years eve I went over the road to Creagh Equestrian Centre to ride the two. Sick to death of the rain, it was time for some indoor fun. The boys LOVED it, especially Fred. I gave them a tough work out (and myself). Needless to say my little leggies felt it! But my god I ended the year on such an equine high. 

Here's to 2024! Keep on truckin'

Happy Christmas
Happy Christmas


Comments

Popular Posts