2018....start the year running

  And here we are, another year, 2018 has arrived........

When I left you last I was hoping that my jeep would be fixed and I could riding. That did not happen and I had a minor meltdown........apparently not getting my horse fix really affects my ability to think straight!! Having to muck out and fed and not getting to have the enjoyment and de-stressing of actual horse riding is painful.

Over the Christmas I managed to get out hacking a few times and it's a great way to tire out the doggies, as Rusty's sister was home for the Christmas. Also worked on our lateral work, gotta keep up the practice!




Happy Christmas
On New Years Eve I brought Fred for a short hack and when I got back I decided to take out CC for a quick spin. He had been on holiday since the final of the jumping league at the start of November so he'd had a nice bit of time off. I just walked him down the lane and had a small trot. He was absolutely fine, bar a tiny spook. He's growing up and mature!

He's back!!

And chilled enough to be on a long rein

I finally got my jeep back the first week in January and celebrated by bringing the boys over to the indoor and having a proper canter on Fred - not just on the grass centre of the lane! It was so nice to have a proper flatwork session with walk, trot & canter. I hopped up on CC for 20 mins too and he was very good considering he hasn't been ridden, been around other horses and has been on oats!

The next weekend myself and CC went on a nice long hack. He was a bit fired up for the first half but lovely and chilled out for the way home.
With all the flatwork practice, I haven't been very good at doing any stretches so my legs got very tight. With that and mucking out and throwing rugs on and off it all adds up to a sore back. I went swimming at the weekend to help loosen myself out and it worked a treat. I plan on going once a week for the year ( great plans 😁).
Great hair!!

Finally some sunshine...

We went over to the indoor a few times to work some more on fitness and relaxation. And for me, I'm working on my core strength by doing most of my work in sitting trot. Finding the extended trot a bit tougher and the transition from canter to trot -talk about bouncy!! But I have to say CC is going far better in sitting trot. His head is coming down and occasionally even on the bit.

Fred is feeling a bit well in himself when it comes to canter, he needs a good run out so I decided to bring him out XC. A nice change of scenery and a bit of fun! Especially before the dressage league starts. I sent in my membership this week, so it'll be all systems go for Riding Club comps.


On Saturday I got up far too early for a weekend day. Myself, G.I.T. & a reluctant Fred set off for some XC fun. Fred was minus impressed when he saw CC out eating hay and chillin while he got  hauled off in a horsebox. We left Rusty at home because he would have just been stuck in the jeep.

It was Fred's first time XC since last May and his first time in a group out XC in a few years, he tends to be a handful in groups, wants to be the big 'stallion' and be large & in charge! While the others were mounting and getting ready he did a spot of dancing, but nothing too major. I had only brought his snaffle bridle so I was really hoping he wouldn't be too strong!
We set off with my friend Lyndsey and a few others. He did his usual group mentality to start off with but wasn't overly strong. He settled in after a little bit and I was able to hold him back from the others so that'd he look at the jumps that were coming up. And then he completely chilled out and was fine being apart from the others while they jumped.
We had a nice gallop, a few jumps and a nice walk through the lake. All in all it was a great day out and he thoroughly enjoyed it. He sweated up, but nothing too bad, considering he's a woolly mammoth!! He was soo happy with himself. I gave him a nice power shower ( thinking wahoo that's him cleaned for next week's dressage) and then as soon as I let him back out to CC he had a huge roll. So he's all muddy again bar where the rug is.

Thanks to G.I.T. for the great pics 😊
Gotta smile when you're having fun



Lyndsey & Monsoon

Time for a drink after all that



Fred didn't much like the sound of the hounds......




Suited & booted


Happy out afterwards



Having a laugh








Comments

Popular Posts