Finito!!

And that is a wrap on 2016 and competitions!!

I am beyond delighted that we are done for the year. I was telling the boys it'd be 7 weeks before I was plaiting them up again!! I think we're all happy about that!

Friday night I had to go to our regional riding club meeting. It was a really frosty and foggy night, luckily my friend was driving. Good few things to look forward to for 2017. Sounds like it'll be a promising one for the region.

Saturday morning I rushed home to bring Cu Chulainn in to do some jumping schooling. We warmed up and went in. No other horses around, so we had the place to ourselves, which was great. We had a few issues in the first round, nothing major. Flew it in the second round. This guy is going to be an absolute stunner!! Bring on 2017!!

Sunday was the last day of the dressage league. We'd a lovely afternoon time, so that meant we had lots of time to get ready. I got up early and let them out to the field and then went back to bed for an hour. That way they'd have their breakfast, have a stretch and then be much happier to be plaited and thrown in the horse box. And mammy got a bit more of a lie in!! Happy campers all round!
Last competition!!
We got down in good time and I set about getting Cu Chulainn ready. I rode him first this week. We just did walk & trot in the warm up. A new strategy to keep him from getting tense. So that was fine, he was fairly relaxed. It didn't help that Fred kept calling out to him!! He bullies him non-stop, but oh no, when he's away from him, it's like hey! where are you??

We went in and did a few transitions, walk trot, walk trot, while we waited for the bell. He wasn't spooking at the judges table, this is looking good! Got the bell, went up the centre line and boom he cantered!! I had to laugh. Apart from that mishap, he was in much better form!! Way more relaxed than last week. A bit strong in canter, but I'm not worried about that. He'll probably be a different horse when he comes back from his holidays.

Next up was Sir Fred. He was in good form too. I would have liked to have warmed him up longer, but then was no one else around, so we had to go in to the arena.  He was in great form. We had a mishap going across the long diagonal where he tripped coming around the corner and went right down, it was in slow motion, and I thought I was out the window!! It was so slow I literally thought 'holy shit, I'm about to fall off in a dressage test, scarlet!!' But he recovered and we went on. He's still not fully fit, but did a lovely test.

I got the boys sorted with water after, I have to bring them to the tap because they drink so much, it's just hardship bringing it to them! Then on the way back one of the organisers was looking for us, Fred had won the league!! Absolutely delighted with him and for him! Couldn't be prouder!

    
And not to take away from Cu Chulainn, who got 3rd in the league and got 3 in his dressage to music form the week before. So Fred won a heavyweight rug ( that CC might be using come clipping time) and CC won a bag of shavings which is exactly what I'll need for when the stables are finished!

Successful dressage league!!


Cu Chulainn had some first season. He excelled in showing in-hand and I hope we can transfer that to ridden classes as well next year. He got better and better at dressage and finished his season in the 60%+, I couldn't ask for more from him. As well as all that, he has taken to jumping like a duck to water!! Jumps are merely obstacles in his way and he rarely touches a pole! Next up will be cross country. He comes back from his holidays in January and so we have lots to work on and work with for 2017.

CuChaillin's first season

Fred has had a few unplanned holidays this year, so he won't be getting a holiday this December. In some ways, I'm glad. It means we'll start the year with our best hoof forward. He'll be good and fit in time for the next dressage league, which starts in January. We're also joining Dressage Ireland next year, so we'll be able to hit the ground running. Hunter trials tend to be on in March & April and Fred loves a bit of XC - after doing all his pretty showing & dressage! 
Even after all his breaks this year, he came home with the goods 9 times out of 10!!

Fred's haul!!

 There'll be lots of hacking over the next few weeks, and of course the usual drama associated with looking after horses. So I'll be keeping you all updated!!

For now, stay warm and dry if you can!!




Comments

Popular Posts