The art of doing nothing

The art of doing nothing.

I am still learning this art.

When was the last time you sat down to do nothing and rest. Now I don't mean sitting staring into space. I mean reading a book or watching tv, but without the guilt.

Our morning arrangement

The guilt of something else you could or should be doing. Studying, cleaning, tidying, paying bills, making appointments, doing tax returns. It can be very hard to relax into 'doing nothing' and not feel guilty.

The art of doing nothing is even more difficult for someone as active as I am. I am used to mucking out, riding two horses, running around after hens, playing with the cats and the dog and egg hunting in the oddest of places. I've gone from that to feeding them animals and letting out the hens, then putting them in, and collecting eggs only from reachable places. Some days I can't even reach down to rub the cats.

Pretty Greta
Pretty Greta

Today it's hard to walk because I over did the last two days. I over did it on Friday by chasing hens when I had to get them in unexpectedly and then later watching Leon groom Fred and then walking down the lane. On Saturday I was up at 6 to go to a show with a friend. I took videos and sat in the stand for most of it. We left by 12. So having spent most of the day sitting, I still manged to over do it.

Today is Sunday and I fed the animals, showered and sat. I did the exercises my physio gave me throughout the day and I can really feel my nerve being hit when I do them. So that just hits it home that I need to rest even more. IT IS SO TOUGH.

Having a broken arm or leg would be so much easier. For one you'd have a legitimate treatment plan, not just discharged with a letter saying sure come back in 3 months and we'll see then(the letter may not have said this exactly) . For another, you'd have an actual timeline for recovery. And for another, you'd be far more mobile, even if you were on crutches. So yeah, feeling kinda sorry for myself.

But at the same time I'm trying to keep positive and upbeat about this time off. 

I have plans for content for my social media. Some new and exciting things I want to try. Some new technologies I want to use and some new skills I want to learn. 

I figure I'll be an 'athleisure' wearer for the foreseeable future, so to give me a happy boost I ordered two new hoodies. I'd wanted some for awhile, heavier material and good heavy hoods. It's hard to know what kind of quality they'll be when you are shopping online, but boy was I happy with my new purchases. So much so, I have worn them every day since they arrived!!


I will definitely (most likely) get my college project finished this month and be finished my course( bar a presentation in August). I got my last assignment in this week which was a complete anti-climax and still hasn't quite hit home yet. 

Art work



I am using my creativity again. I made a gift for a friend for her birthday and another gift for a friends new baby. I love make and do (flashback to Mary's Make & Do for those of you who are old enough). I am more of a creative type than an academic, hence this year of study was tough going.

I am reading a lot. I stayed in bed today to finish a book, a rarely taken pleasure. I also sit and read in the front room and have forced my parents to move their cars so I can see out to the field where the horses, hens and cats roam freely. The hens are hilarious to watch.

Rusty is guarding me and making me play ball with him. He's not getting the runs he's used to, so I have to throw ball all day instead.

Let's play ball
Let's play ball


So I'm on an enforced slowdown, well physically. Mentally my head is jam packed with ideas and information and thoughts. 

So for now, I sit. I do my physio. I write this. And the world keeps on turning.

Comments

  1. Seems you're having a great time! I think we should bless the time we spend on ourselves. I've got some days off my work on a ranch and it was tough at the beginning. But now I'm busy with other interesting stuff like reading and cooking. Recenlty I celebrated a Birthday of my horse Sparkle and I bough a top-notch saddle pad for her. She seems satisfied with the new trinket :) It's a TuffRider saddle pad (red color) that I got here: https://horsezz.com/best-horse-saddle-pads-review/. Sparkle looks out of this world! Now I'm looking for matching boots. Never get bored, rigth?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts