Cavan Debut


Once my tickets arrived from Showjumping Ireland, we got right into the swing of it with the jumping. It was however, still hard to get out to ride during the week. The mornings were brighter, but miserable. The evenings weren't bright enough. As well as the fact I could only ride one a day and then I didn't want to ride every day, because as is the usual in winter, I was constantly fighting a cold, so needed to rest up when I could. The only time Cu Chulainn was getting to jump was at the weekends. We weren't ready for lessons yet because I wasn't getting to ride him enough.

I managed to squeeze into an IPS working hunter clinic in February with Philip Scott. I brought Cu Chulainn. He was a bit wired, but when we started jumping he relaxed and Philip said he was lovely and balanced and that we gelled well together. *blushing* compliment my horse and I'll love you forever, it's that easy 😁😁

We got into our jumping then following that, going to Ballinasloe weekly. I had planned on going to another show on the Sundays, but laziness/tiredness/weather all played a factor in me not. Feeding, haying out and mucking out daily takes it's toll.

I had thought I'd do the Tattersalls hunter trials and stay up with my friend Trish, but after being hit with car insurance and some other expenses, I decided that driving up all that way and paying entry for 5mins around an XC track wasn't justifiable. Another time perhaps. I had however taken the days holidays from work so I thought I'd put it to use. I organised a lesson with Seamus Daly for myself and Amanda. It was time to start doing lessons. He'd also helped me warm up the Saturday before when I went for my first 1m in months and gave me the confidence to do it.

On Friday we had the lesson in the indoor in Creagh Equestrian. We worked on a few jumps at a time and really worked on flatwork. Not 'choking' him so much and fighting him. By the end he was going lovely and really enjoying it. My arms weren't sore either!!

This year I decided I'd try and qualify for the Northern Ireland Working Hunter Festival. I've never been and I've heard it's huge and very busy. For that reason I wanted to bring Cu Chulainn to Cavan Equestrian Centre before that to get him used to the place ( in case we qualified). I've been there a few times with Fred. Such a spot!


Chill Bill

Nervous Nelly

Myself and the GIT headed off nice and early one bright Saturday morning in March. We arrived there before 9 (of a Saturday!! I should be in bed!!). The course walk for the first class was on so I had a quick run around after I'd entered. I only got half way around before it started. They started with 80cm and I'd entered 90 and 1m. I had made myself super nervous. Don't ask me why. I wasn't nervous that he'd freak or that we couldn't do it. I just had stage fright I guess! I watched the 80s class for ages and could not learn the course. Not usually an issue for me. It just wasn't sinking in because I was up to 90 with the nerves. Eventually I chilled the beans a bit. Just by watching people jump the 80s, slowing my breathing and drinking lots of water. I got the hang of the course in the end. I went through a bottle of water. CC was chill bill in the box, not a bother on him. Thankfully one of us was!!
Going over the course

Soon it was time to tack up and go. It had been so long since I'd done a non league comp that I forgot to put my name down to the person running the pocket. So I'd warmed up, then gave my name and I had 11 people in front of me! Uck. He was a bit nervy in the warm up, but it was more the warm up than anything else. He relaxed after a while.

Nice and relaxed

I got this mom


Evidence we were there

Soon it was our time to get in the arena. I love how you can walk around while the rider ahead is jumping. I used this time to walk him around nice and calmly, as Seamus would say; as if you're hacking down the road. When we got the bell I was ready. I even had my jump off decided. He absolutely flew it and got all his turns. I heard the announcer say we were lying in 2nd. Wahoo. I knew there were loads to come, but still that was nice. I sent Seamus the video and he was delighted with it. I was happy with how we attacked the course. So I put CC back in the box, gave him water and let him have his hay. I ate and drank water till the 90s was over.

In we go

Can we make that turn??

Yeah sure

Job done!!!

The results came out and we came 2nd!! Whoop Whoop! No time to celebrate though. It was time for the 1m. But they changed the course, so I had to learn the new course. It was fine though because I was now relaxed and learned it from the warm up. I got the GIT to hold CC while I walked it quickly. Not a situation he's used to, but he may get used to it 😅 I was far more confident for this round. The first jump was a nice sized spread which he leapt over but number two was around the corner and I lost the energy when I turned him so we knocked it. Such a pity as he jumped out of his skin after that. But hey we got more than what we came for. It was only a test to show him the place and he passed with flying colours and a nice blue rosette too!!
The videos from Cavan are on my facebook page.

Round 2 time

It's still March, so it was cold

Time for the GIT to take over

He was getting impatient to get in

And we're in

Way more chill in the arena rather than the warm up

Big smiles. My rockstar

Delighted!! (but not with how tight my jacket is!! damn winter hibernation)

Comments

Popular Posts