Catch up - Agri show central!!



Right, well it has undoubtedly been quite a while since I've caught you all up with what we've been up to and what we haven't been up to. There's been drama filled days and days where there was nothing but chill. It's gonna take more than one post, so let's crack on then shall we? 


 
Time to start!!



I arrived home from Dublin and set about getting the boys ready for Tullamore on Sunday. The weather wasn't great. I gave them both a bath and I cleaned their manes. We went over to Creagh Equestrian centre to practice a bit of jumping, as Cu Chulainn was doing the working hunter again. I had entered Fred too but I withdrew him because we hadn’t jumped in ages, no point throwing him in the deep end. CC hadn't jumped in ages, but he went really well. All set for tomorrow.

Mane attraction

On Sunday I was up early to put the finishing touches on the boys and plait them up. I left them out as usual the night before because Cu Chulainn loves to have a little lie down in the stable at night and inevitably gets covered in poo stains. It’s easier to wipe off mud than poo stains, believe me!
I was on the road about 15 mins when I copped I’d forgotten my show gear!! OHN (oh hell no). It was sitting on the chair in the kitchen. There was much cursing and giving out to myself. Then I rang mam to meet me halfway and luckily she did. So, on the road Take Two. The rain was absolutely pelting down when we were driving there. There is nothing more miserable than being at an outdoor show all day in the rain.  I had fingers and toes crossed that it would blow over.
We went a different route to last year and it was much easier. We got there in no time at all and the rain had started to get lighter. By the time I was parked up it had stopped altogether. The blogger Tack ‘n tails was just ahead of me in there. She’d brought her two year old.
Fred was first up in the lightweight class so I set about getting him ready. He looked lovely and smart and behaved beautifully. He was in flying form, pure showman mode. Unfortunately, I had a mix up with the stewards. I’d said to them that I had Cu Chulainn in another class and might be a bit late, because there weren’t many in the next class. They told me I could leave early, so I did………which meant I was out of the running for any rosettes. I could have cried when I realised. The judges had loved him too!! It was even more frustrating because Cu Chulainn was in a mood where he acted like it was his first day out practically. The judges liked him but he was still deservedly out of the rosettes……because he acted like a twat. The working hunter was next. He redeemed himself here. We’d the first down – my fault and so annoying-but he went clear after that and had some nice jumps. He came 3rd in the end.
We packed up and went home. A long day. Mistakes were made, but you can only learn and move on!
I always regret not being able to go to the actual show part of the Tullamore show. My classes are always throughout the day so I never get to go in and it looks amazing. 

Harvest time

Stubble field arenas!!

The following weekend it was the Roscommon agricultural show. I drafted in a top groom, straight from her RDS experience, Ms. Caroline Boyd. With her help the boys were sparkling and looking like they should be in HOYS (possibly exaggeration).

Cu Chulainn was up first for the in-hand coloured class. There was a bit of waiting around, while we waited for the other classes to finish. Again, he was in an agitated mood. Once we went in to the class and he got to strut around he was fine. Trotting in hand is his thing, ‘look at me’. I, however was trying my best not to fall because the grass was a tad slippy!! The line up was done and rosettes were being handed out. Low and behold CC scored a red!! Whoop whoop yayyyyyy

Such concentration!!

Who's a good boy!!

Doesn't he look pleased with himself!

Next up was Fred and it was also the in hand class. Somehow, disappointingly we managed to miss this!! So it was a quick change; saddle on for him and number change for me. Lightweight hunter next and there was a lot in this class. It felt like we were going around forever and as always my classes nearly come together so there was a lack of water and food in me!! My energy was dwindling.  Unusually, there was no initial line up, just a final one with rosettes. Fred was a star and came 3rd. Deeeelighted.
I’d entered CC in the next class, which was the very next class, but rather than tack him up and put him in, I changed it to Fred who was already warmed up and knew the deal. This class was a bit more varied as it was done by height. They pulled us in and there was a show piece done, as the judges don’t ride here.  Fred did a lovely show piece. I was glad they did that here because the horses in the top 4 didn’t do good ones, which helped shake up the line up. Fred came a deserved 3rd place again. So the boys had a really successful day placing in all classes (that we managed to be on time for!!). I went home a very happy mammy.


Fred the ledge

But that wasn’t it for our horse shows that weekend. Blogger Make up and Muck Heaps was competing in the AIRC Dressage Championships in Mullingar the next day and I had offered to be her groom. The weather was dark and miserable. Myself and Rusty set off early on Sunday morning and managed to get up in time for her first test. I also missed all the entertainment in the warm up.  She had two horses and four tests to do. First up was Axel for the Advanced Intermediate test.

Love this pic by Sagittarian photography. Rusty has his Galway colours on .

My selfie face is on point

Which button do I press?!

Wellies and Galway jersey. Rocking my look


There were some serious questions and eyebrows raised over the choice of judge and their qualifications for judging that grade of dressage and at Nationals. The judge for Advancerd Intermediate was Chairman of the National Committee and is not even on the Dressage Ireland list of judges, which I would expect for the final of the Dressage Championships. I’m very glad I wasn’t competing at it.
Once Serena was finished it was back to the stables and some motivation and grooming assistance required. Disco Sissco was next in line and they did a nice test together. We had a break then for a little while before the afternoon ones started and we met some people we knew. Then it was time to revise tests and make sure they were well engraved in her head. Tack up time. The call up was a bit of a mess. The times were gone way over. The call up people kept disappearing and it was a waiting game to see when you’d actually get in. That’s tough because you don’t know how much to warm up your horse, you don’t want them to tire out but you don’t want them to be cold either. Eventually it was time to go in and we went on video duty again. Videos are the best way to learn for any rider. Sometimes you don’t realise what you do and for a lot of people their brains turn off as soon as they get near a competition arena. They did a much better test than earlier and it was lovely to watch. I helped her get Sissco ready and then scooted off home. I was wrecked!!  But it’s nice to go to a competition and not have a horse sometimes.

 
Bluto getting some love

Turmeric has been a huge help to Fred

Ain't he gorgeous?!

To finish off August we had one more Agri show to do. The Moate Agricultural show. There was SJI on there too, so a bit of variety. I entered Fred in the Lightweight hunter class and CC in the in-hand coloured class.
Bath time



 I decided I’d enter the jumping on the day, depending on how the classes were running time-wise. Cu Chulainn was up first and he was in usual arse mode. I think we may be giving the showing a break. He came 2nd, out of two, but hey, he won some money!! Then it was Fred’s turn. The weather was horrible. Wet and miserable again. He behaved impeccably though and was pulled in first. He gave the judge a nice ride and she seemed to like him. We didn’t have to go out for too long once we went back out and incredibly he was pulled in first again!! A red for Fred!! Absolutely delighted with him and for him. I decided to call it a day then. No point asking them for any more. We got what we came for and as my old instructor always said, end it on a good note.
 I was home nice and early and curled up on the couch!! The only place you should be on a miserable Sunday some might say!!

Rotten day!

'tell me I'm a good boy again'

More slippy glass



We finished off August with some...........

........fab sunsets


Comments

Popular Posts