Frosty mornings

On Tuesday I tried to get up early to ride, but failed.  I decided I'd bring them to the indoor that evening instead and ride both. So over we went around 7. It was really cold. I had full thermals on, body warmer, jacket & snood. I brought my flash and draw rein for CC. Time to really have a focussed flat session. I haven't used a draw rein since September, so I put on the flash first to get him used to it. He went so well with just the flash that I didn't bother with the draw rein. We worked on transitions, walk-trot-walk and there was no arguing. We had a few nice canters and left it at that. I loaded him up and brought down Fred for a quick spin. Fred took exception to Lyndsey's sons 11hh pony. He decided he'd never seen something so small. But his spooking worked well for me. It made him really work well behind and he was good and forward. So we kept it to a quick session. 
By the time I went to drive home the road was white. In less than 2 hours! I crawled home and put the boys to bed. 


Wednesday morning I finally managed to get my first morning ride of the year. What a beautiful morning it was. We went down the lane at home and into one of the fields, and then through a tree lined section that had a few branches down. And sure why go around them, when you could go over them?!


'Chilled' out
That sunrise 😃


Breakfast

And then on Thursday it was Fred's turn. Another change in the weather. That morning it was this eerie mist everywhere. It was so nice to ride outside and in a big open field (even though we're only going around the edge).The best thing about riding them in the morning is that guilt-free feeling in the evening, they've already been exercised. That and it sets you up nicely for the day. Another benefit I find is that the weather tends to be better in the morning.





On Friday I had my first dressage lesson of the year. Back to the hardcore instructor. I was dying for a lesson. I had been excited, but then the whole work week had been exhausting, so my excitement had died down. I was wrecked driving to it and started singing along with Whitney Houston on the radio to wake myself up - Rusty was unimpressed. I'd brought Cu Chulainn for the lesson. He was on his best behaviour and tried his little heart out. We did slow shoulder in and he was a bit confused by it, but still gave it his best shot. On a freezing cold night we both managed to work up a sweat. But boy was it worth it.


I was working on Saturday, so the boys got the day off. Fred has a bit of a snotty nose, so I'm letting him rest up.
After a long week of working and riding I decided to do what 'normal' people do on a Sunday and have a lie-in- well kind of. I got up early and fed the cats, dog and horses. Then I made a big cup of tea and myself and Rusty went back to bed, where I read my book for a few hours. It was heavenly. It had snowed during the night and the day was a mix of bright sunshine and blizzard conditions......quite the contrast. Between snow showers I managed to get out on Cu Chulainn and we brought G.I.T. (groom-in-training) along for a photo shoot (well sure while he's doing nothing else 😀. Sunday Funday!!



Ain't touching that!




So much fun

Boing

Planning on setting up a few tyre jumps here when the fields dry out

I had every intention of practicing my flatwork, I put my dressage saddle on!!


Comments

Popular Posts