Return to Dressage........


Have a break, have a kit kat...

I've spent today like the Walking Dead......absolute zombie. So I figured, I'd write this up before I hit the hay because I'm not up to much else!



I took CC off his hols early and brought him for a lesson with my hard-core instructor. He was fresh as a daisy and it took the whole hour to get him to chill out. Up until that point, I would have said my dressage saddle was very comfortable, but after I felt like it was a wooden plank I was sitting on.......and my arms were just about hanging on to my shoulders........I was worked to the bone, but it did bring results. He went very well, in the last ten minutes..........worth every minute.


Off to work while they chew the fat (or grass)


On Thursday, myself & CC went for a flatwork hack, to practice what we'd done the night before. He was a little bit anxious and looking at the cattle, sheep and horses that we met, but we did get some good work in, so I was happy.




I went up to Dublin on Friday, so the boys had a little time off on Friday & Saturday. While I was in Dublin I visited Child Vision in Drumcondra. Fred used to live there, so I like to visit when I can. They do fantastic work there with special needs children & adults. I used to help out there and was amazed at the work that they do, and the immediate improvement of some children around and on the horses. It is amazing how therapeutic they can be. The whole place is well worth a visit as they have a mini pet farm and a fantastic cafe.

Child Vision







Fred & I used to hack around there, yes, smack bang in the middle of Dublin. I once met my parents after a Galway hurling match outside The Big Tree pub. There were a few people doing a double take!

Just hacking around Ballybough

When I got home that evening, I was too lazy/tired to ride, so I just fed them and gave them hugs.....



On Sunday, I took the groom-in-training out for a cycle along some very photogenic scenery near the house, he's a townie, so it's something different for him. Rusty came too, but I called Dad to collect him as we'd gone pretty far. Considering I haven't been on a bike in 2 years, I didn't feel too bad after, but I had an epsom salts bath just in case.

Happy pooch

Hitchin a ride

That evening I rode CC out in the field opposite the boys and he was fantastic. Really chilled and had lovely transitions. So I kept it short, as he was so good, to reward him.


On Monday, I brought Fred for a short hack to see how he was. He was much better, but still slightly off. I left CC off as he had been good the day before.


On Tuesday morning, I noticed Rusty was acting strange. Very listless. I told my parents and said to keep an eye on him. He didn't improve during the day & I had to bring him to the vet that evening. The poor little thing had pneumonia, so he had to get a shot and some tablets. He was shaking like a leaf and jumped into my arms after getting the shot 😟

I brought Fred on a hack as far as the bridge to see if he had improved. He had improved a lot, but I decided he wouldn't be fit enough to get the best out of the lesson tomorrow, so I'd bring CC. I rode CC too to make sure he wouldn't be as fresh this time. Fred was as fresh as a daisy and like a youngster! We met a ewe that had broken out into a field by itself and he was not impressed...........WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING?!?! The same with the cattle and random other stuff.
Fred Vs Sheep

Rusty was in far better shape Wednesday morning and more himself, tail wagging. By the time I got home in the evening he was completely back to normal and bossing mam to throw his ball for him.

Wednesday is hard-core lesson day. CC nearly doesn't get out of the box when we arrive, he knows he's in for a hard session! He was a lot more chilled out this time and we got a really good workout in. He wasn't as strong and he's really starting to come on to the bit through the gaits. We are getting there, slowly but surely. The best thing about having such hard core lessons is that wonderful feeling afterwards............when he goes well and you've put that effort in. It's a cloud 9 (through exhaustion) kinda feeling. He practically trots in to the box after, to get the hell out of there!!
There's a Dressage Ireland show on the Sunday of the bank holiday, so that's what the current aim is. I'm hoping to do 2 Prelim tests on CC and 2 Novice on Fred. It's a 20x60m arena and 4 different tests..... I may be thinking a bit much of myself!! I'm hoping they'll let someone call out tests, I reckon I might remember two well, and two just, but I start to confuse myself always on the 3rd test.

 Perks of living in the country are witnessing some fab sunsets............not missing city life one bit!

 I brought the two boys over the road. I gave Fred a quick flat session, we hadn't cantered in awhile as we were only hacking. I did some lateral work too and he went really well.
Then I did flat with CC to warm up and he went really nicely. Then we started jumping, and he hasn't jumped in a few weeks, so he was a tad excited........and super strong. EEkk..... I jumped him a few times and he just got stronger and stronger......so I just left him. He jumped everything I asked. I'll bring him over another day, he was just a bit excited.
A few mins in the long grass as a treat.....



On Friday I hacked Fred down to the river. He felt a bit funny in trot, so we just walked home. A good forward walk though. His walk was fine. Rusty came with us. He was going nuts (as usual) while I was tacking up. He gets so excited! He also gets really manic if I don't go out to the horses at the usual time. He starts jumping up, like come on, come onnnnnnnnnnnn!!


Horsey gear came in handy!

Saturday was a day away from the horses. I was off to Slane to see Guns n Roses. I did however buy a big container for Stradbally in a one day sale, that morning. Guns n Roses were great and it was a fantastic day with friends.........it was however long and I crawled into bed at half 5, to have to set my alarm for 4 hours later for the Athenry agri show.


I crawled out of bed around 10. I took a long long time to get semi-functional. I got CC in from the field and gave him a wash and a groom and plaited him. Today would be the first show that the groom-in-training would be attending. A nice easy show to get started on as we were only doing the in-hand.
We arrived in good time, our class wasn't until the afternoon. It took a while to find the entries tent, but we got sorted. CC was in chill mode. He looked really well. We went over to the ring, in what I thought was good time, but the class had already started. Fuuuuccccckkkk The horses had already been in the first line up and were walking out. The judge allowed us in- thank fuck. After all the effort of getting him there I would have died if we'd missed it. He behaved impeccably and as we walked away from the judge to trot back, I whispered to him; 'please trot!' Because we hadn't practiced that either. Oh he trotted off strutting his stuff in a lovely rhythmic trot that was not too fast or too slow. And he came third. Delighted!!



Monday, I am now the walking dead. Barely functioning. Work was tough...........it was a long ass day. I brought CC over the road to practice jumping again. I didn't feel I'd the energy to ride the two. CC was a little antsy. We did some flat outside and then went inside to canter. He was a donkey on the edge inside. Funnily, when we actually cantered he was fine.........I popped a few small jumps in there and he was wired. We went outside to where the full course was. He jumped perfectly! Completely chilled out. A different horse. He slowed when I asked him, wasn't at all strong. Just perfect. We did the course twice and I left him at that. I didn't want to push him. I was happy and he was puffing.
When we came home Fred was waiting at the gate for dinner time. Now that I have the 4 horses together, Fred's personality has changed back to what he used to be. He's back to enjoying cuddles and has stopped bossing CC around. I think he bossed him constantly to show him he was boss and he was always on guard. Now that there's a herd to mind, he's chilled out. He's the dominant one and it goes without saying - or you get his ass in your face if you try to deny it! CC is second in command, then Pena and lastly Pablo - ironically very different to Narcos, which is what he's named after (and Pena).

The herd line up.......


Fred has decided he likes to stay in the stable after dinner...........he's not locked in here 😀

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts