Competition time.........

Cu Chulainn is a project horse for me. I want to see how well I can bring on a horse from the start of their career. I always planned on competing him, as I compete a lot with my other horse in various different competitions.

For this reason, I looked in to the in-hand showing. With coloured horses, a lot of the agricultural shows do in-hand for any age horse. I thought this would be a perfect introduction for him to a show atmosphere, the preparation, the actual show, horses around and all the other things that are around that could be scary or distracting. So the end of July, we got suited and booted. They were washed - going from a bay to a piebald is hardship!! I'm used to dust, not actual stains!! And they were plaited. I have to say, he loved the attention!!



Fred was doing the dressage and I had entered him in Lightweight hunter also, but I pulled out of that one as it would have been too much on the day. Unfortunately, Cu Chulainns class was at the very end of a miserable enough day. I watched some of the other classes, as I am a complete novice to in hand showing. I tried Googling it in the run up to it, but I did enter Fred in Middleweight in his showing debut, due to Mr. Google (he did however come 4th, without being plaited ). Eventually, our time came. Cu Chulainn was a little uneasy. Constantly deafening me, calling out to all the other horses, who promptly ignored him. We went in and ran around (tough after not eating all day- was not well prepared).  He behaved very well, considering it was his very first show. Just calling out. I'd gotten him shod a few days before, but he'd managed to leave one shoe behind him in the field. Thankfully, the class isn't as long as the ridden classes. So we were lined up for our rosettes. And. We. Got. A. RED. One.............


Not to forget the fantastic Fred!! Also getting a nice red one!



Comments

Popular Posts