New Year, New Post!!


Well, how was your Christmas? Myself and the boys had a lovely, quiet one. Fred was kept in work, ticking over with hacking. I hacked out as much as I could before work, but it seems to have gotten darker in the mornings since the 21st of December??? Is this part of the whole global warming?? Whatever it is, it's a pain in the hole.

I am lucky in that I have some very good friends, and ones that are skilled in various crafts. After an off hand conversation, the subject of building my stables arose. My friend said he could do it, and do it in within the next two weeks ( they were internal stables in a barn). I had already been let down by someone to do them, when they quoted me a ridiculous amount. So the boys were in their new bedrooms in time for Christmas, not a moment too soon either! CC is loving having his own room, cos Fred is a big meanie. They know exactly who's stable is who's too. When I get home after work, they are waiting at the gate. Most days I'll get them in as soon as I get home, as it means I don't have to go outside after getting warm & cosy inside. I'm lucky that the field is just off the yard. So all I have to do is open the gate and they walk in, no headcollars needed. They'll walk down to the stables and walk in, each going to their own stable. I moved in the cats to put them on vermin patrol, so they're all settled in there too now.
I had the horses in a makeshift stable up to that point. I think it used to be for calves, but it was small, hard to muck out and they had to share, which meant CC only got as much food as he was allowed..........hence he's very happy now!

 
Love my new stables!!





So Fred was kept going since our last competition, he's had too many 'unofficial' holidays over the last while. We mostly hacked out. Not very far or anything, but building up strength and fitness. I really wanted to start 2017 with a fit horse and ready to go. Usually we're only coming back in to work.

To test him out, one of the days I gave him a nice gallop in the field. I just went from half way to the end.........that was the plan anyway! Fred had other plans.......I got him to slow down for the turn and then we went full throttle to the other side!! Which was greatttttttttttttt fun but then there was the lack of brakes and fear of going head first into the ground!! After our little spin, he wasn't breathing heavy
or even sweating - and he's not clipped, so full hairy monster!
We had our usual hack out Christmas day, even though the weather wasn't great. It's still a really nice thing to do. To get away from the house and all the goings on and just relax with the animals..... we bring the dogs for a run too - easiest way to exercise them!
Walking the animals

CC came back in to work a few days later. Starting off he was a bit antsy, but then as soon as we went forward he was grand.  We just hacked up and down a lane a few times and left it at that. It was nice to have a few days over Xmas where I could ride them, even if it was only hacking.

As soon as the new year kicked in and the partying subsided, I went about getting organised. My stables also have my feed and tack in them, so I organised everything so that I'd know where stuff was; competition stuff, rugs, etc. Had a look at our upcoming competition dates. My schedule is flat out for the next few months - here's hoping the boys stay sound! And paid my memberships.

Last night was our first time in an arena in 6 weeks..........CC was in top form. He got a fright when a young horse cantered too close to him and spooked, then spooked at the instructor, but bar that he was perfect! Cantered on the correct leg on both reins and had a fabulous canter on one rein.........we'll have to work on him keeping that up! Fred had a wonderful extended trot and then thought we were in a field for the canter and that we could speed around..........I felt like I wasn't wearing any gloves!! #pulllikeadog

So that's where we're at...........this weekend is clipping time!! Bath time tomorrow (although it is lashing as I write this 😐 ) and then clipping on Sunday. Followed by our first competition next Sunday. It's dressage, and a test we've done before, so I'm not too worried. Hoping to do a lesson with my dressage instructor next week on Fred seeing as he's good and fit. I want to start the year all guns blazing with him.

2017...........BRING IT ON!!!






Comments

Popular Posts