First comp done & dusted


Another busy winter week..........the lack of daylight is really annoying me.
I bring the horses in, fed & water them and that's it. That's about as much as I can do. The solar lights I got for inside their stables are tempermental and are not happy about the amount of light that they are receiving during the day, whereas the small ones that I put on the doors outside work perfectly, regardless of how bright the day is. So that means I have to use a head torch - which is actually really awkward- or my phone is strategically placed somewhere that will light up as much of the place as I can.

On Tuesday I brought the boys over to the indoor down the road to practice. CC was tense and we're trying to work on relaxation, but we'd a good work out. Fred was in good form, did what he had to and we finished. I was due to have a lesson on Friday, but due to the weather we had to postpone. The other evenings were spent mucking out and general upkeep. Got some more Blue Grass balancer off my friend (it's not stocked locally to me) so the boys were happy with that when it came to dinner time. It's really helping keeping them nice and shiny and it great nick.

On Saturday, I borrowed my neighbours trailer and collected a trailer load of hay, then went and brought the horsebox and got the remainder. I got home & had something to eat, then emptied the horsebox, loaded up & went over to practice for our dressage comp on Sunday. I gave Fred a quick spin, he was fine, but we definitely need a lesson and some motivation and pointers. I had a lesson with CC and it went really well, he was starting to relax and come on the bit. He's quite anxious and it's a constant battle, for me I have to try and do as little as possible - which is the internal battle.........

We weren't on till late Sunday, which was great. Sunday morning was spent washing them so that I could clip them. Then unloading the big trailer of hay (all by myself). Then, began clipping. Fred used to be great at clipping, but then I think the blades I used might have been blunt once and ever since he's been iffy. After a few minutes he was fine though. He wasn't dry yet so I didn't get him all clipped and he looks ridiculous........tiredness meant a lack of caring. I then did a bit of CC, as he'd never been clipped before and he was in the stable next to us while I clipped Fred. Initially he was like what the hell is this?? But then he was fine. I did a bit of his shoulder, belly and his chest/neck area. So I did as much as I could, then had my dinner. Back out to plait them both. Then inside to get changed and head to the competition. Luckily, they were running a bit late. So had plenty of time. CC was up first and we'd a decent warm up. He won't stand in the pocket though and the whole before the test is spent walking in circles......definitely something we need to work on.
His test was good though, I was very happy with it. He was far more relaxed than usual. There was extended trot & canter in the test but I decided against doing them as it would only upset him and we were never going to win it, so best to treat it as schooling.
It was starting to get dark when I got up on Fred. We didn't have much time for our warm up and he was being a bit lazy. At that stage I was pretty tired, so it definitely wasn't our best test, but we'd no mistakes, just need to work on our bend and tension.
I felt the judge was a bit harsh in her marking, but you have to take the good with the bad criticism and it's only the start of the year - so plenty to work on.

By the time I got home, got the horses mucked out, fed & watered, had something to eat, I was fooked and my muscles were starting to ache. I ran a bath and put some arnica & witchhazel gel in it ( it's actually for the horses, but oh my god it's magical!! defnitely recommend). I tried to go to bed early, but I lay there with my body telling me each and every muscle that I'd used that day :(

It's another busy week this week with regional Riding Club meeting, dressage lesson, practice time and maybe one chill evening on Monday?! I need a holiday...............







Comments

Popular Posts