Out & About Again

 

Sunshine lunge
Sunshine lunge

After our wonderful return to competition back in May, it's now time for our next outing. To make up for lost time, I have a mad busy weekend ahead!! Glutton for punishment.......

On Saturday myself and Cu Chulainn are venturing to Mullingar for two working hunter classes. I haven't jumped since Athenry, and won't get a chance to before the competition, so I entered the 80cm to start with and then the 90cm. I've never been to this show before, so I'm not sure what to expect. As I look out the window now the rain is gently flowing. Happily I know that I will be on sand at the show, so no worries about slipping etc. 

The boys have had it easy enough the last two weeks. The bank holiday I was busy with various things so didn't get to ride, but had plans for the week of what we'd work on. Best plans and all that.......naturally I pulled a muscle in my back and could barely tie my shoelace! So that all went t*ts up. I also didn't make it to the pool, which makes a big difference in my flexibility and stiffness.

Thursday was my one year anniversary of my back operation so I made sure I was up in the saddle. It's been a long year in many ways, but extraordinary the difference in a year too. Before the operation I walked with my back at an angle, like an old woman from the 50s. I had difficulty walking, standing, showering, sleeping and then with the drugs I had to take I had difficulty focusing, brain fog and memory issues. But anyway, that's sooo last year.

I had the loveliest ride on both. Fred has the most delicious collected canter now and it comes so easily to him. Cu Chulainn did a lovely trot and canter, listened to me and was lovely and smooth. 

On Friday I had a quick ride before I headed west to Doolin Folk Festival, which was wonderful. Attempting to put up a tent in high winds was very much unsuccessful, but it didn't tarnish our spirits.

Back to riding and a plan for the week to prep. Flatwork in the field for both on Monday. Pilates and a swim for me that evening. Tuesday Cu Chulainn had a hack and Fred has another flat session. Wednesday Fred had off and Cu Chulainn had a flatwork session, which was not as good as I'd hoped. We had some disagreements on how to go forward.

Thursday was aqua therapy spa day and we went over to Seamus's to go in the river. My friend Karen rode Fred and I rode Cu Chulainn. Cu Chulainn arrived in with two nice little cuts on his hind quarters. It's like he knew he was going showing this weekend. His legs were lovely and white after splashing about in the water, bar a big red streak, queue eye roll. He cut himself in the water.....

In the regrets department, I can't believe I didn't rug them last night. I didn't look at the forecast, I thought there was a heatwave coming! It rained, they're now muddy. So I have a few baths ahead of me this evening and tack cleaning.............honestly, I'm not sure that people realise it's not just putting in the hours riding, it's the cleaning, scrubbing, planning, packing and what not for a competition. Never mind money spent......

I've since looked up the weather. No heatwave for us, which, to be honest, I'm delighted about. There's nothing worse than being at a show dying of the heat, no shelter anywhere. 

Fred seems to be a little sore on one leg now too. The joys of horses.

I'm off to start the cleaning.........wish me luck for the weekend!!


Comments

Popular Posts