2021 A Year To Forget

The horses chillin in the field
2021 - A Year To Forget


After a bit of an absence, I thought I'd get back to writing with a reflection of last year, both for me and the world.

We started the year in lockdown, the pubs and restaurants having shut on Christmas Eve. January was 500 years long. It was dark and the weather was dismal. We watched in shock as America went bat shit crazy and attempted a coup in the US Capitol building in Washington. Donie O'Sullivan became the highlight. They finally banned Trump off Facebook and Twitter for inciting violence. Biden was elected President, despite Trumps trumpeting, and Bernie Saunders became a meme. GameStop stock skyrocketed and stockbrokers cried. A couple of hiking doctors found a dog that was lost for 2 weeks in the Wicklow mountains and we all got teary eyed when it was reunited with its family.

In good news at home people had started to be vaccinated and hope was simmering. The weather was absolutely baltic towards the end of the month, but led to some beautiful skies. It was a bit too cold for Cu Chulainn and he had a mild case of colic one night, whilst I had a mild case of heart failure.....

To the delight of parents around the country, schools started to reopen in February, whilst sales of prosecco and champagne around the country soared*. The Jerusalema challenge hit Ireland ( I know, I can't believe that was only last year too). Everyone from Ryanair to the Garda mounted unit (which included a horse my neighbour Martin Donnellan, who sadly passed away recently, bred) took part in the challenge. Jackie Weaver became a household name for her zoom antics. Roy Keane joined Instagram.

The first completely digital NFT based artwork sold at auction....yeah I don't get it either. Paddy's Day was cancelled for the second year running. No big shock to anyone, just another in a long line of misery. I actually had a lesson that day and the weather was lovely. The lesson didn't go as well as I'd hoped, nothing awful I just wasn't riding as well as I can. I started that day with a Nurofen Plus, which is never a good omen, little did I know how bad it would be. Oprah had a short chat with the ex royals, Meghan and Harry. Piers Morgan was having none of it and walked off telly, could we get a better reward?

A ship got stuck in the Suez Canal, which for many months disrupted the supply chains. Not gonna lie, I had never heard of it before. Rachael Blackmore kicked ass in Cheltenham and was the leading jockey that week. She then went on to soar higher when she won the Grand National in Aintree. 

In April the Oscars were held and Chloe Zhao becomes the first woman of colour to win best Director for Nomadland. Dublin GAA suspended Dessie Farrell for 12weeks after someone snitched on them training together. Prince Philip died at 99 years of age. A flashback to 2004 as Bennifer became a thing again.

I went from a sore back to fuckkkkk I cannot even put on socks. After a few days I even went to the doctor. After a few days more I actually went for an MRI. It was all downhill from there....queue my first covid test (haunts me still)and a first stay in hospital.

The start of May kicked off the billionaires race to show who's shlong is bigger........I mean who has the best rocket, same thing, kinda. RDS horse show gets cancelled, kinda. Some competitions are going ahead behind closed doors, some aren't going ahead. Confusion ahead. HSE has a cyber attack which no one saw coming..........just the advisor they got to advise them on security and anyone with sense......In a stranger than fiction move,a Ryanair flight got diverted to Belarus, accompanied by fighter jets and a passenger got taken off and arrested. Dublin city centre turned into dodge city. Friends reunited and it wasn't terrible, James Corden wasn't in it much. I documented my inability to do anything and took many photos of my animals. They were willing participants. I met a surgeon who said he'd be happy to cut me open, happy days. 

June saw the resignation of Matt Hancock after he was caught on CCTV shifting someone who was not his wife. The shitshow of UK politics continues. The #FreeBritney campaign was all a go during the summer, I think the whole world watched in shock as the truth came out. The Leaving Cert actually happened for kids that wanted to do it, evidently there were some. I had a great sleep, during which half a spinal disc left my body. That actually knocked me for six for a good while. Great anaesthetic though.

July was the month that finally saw the lovely Serena get married, third date's a charm!! We even got a mini hen in. Nice to get dressed up. I got my hair done after 18 months out of the hairdressers chair..........Kevin was delighted 👀 I took a spin up to Sligo and took in some of the Wild Atlantic Way. July was also the month that finally saw the Olympics happen and I completely immersed myself. The equestrian coverage was super, albeit some of it in hours of the morning I hadn't seen in a long time. The Irish girls did us proud, medals for rowers and of course the legend Kellie Harrington, Hakuna Matata. Tom Daly found time to knit. Norway's ladies beach volleyball team was fined for wearing shorts instead of bikini bottoms. Yep, you read that right. In 2021. 

In August we had the revised RDS championships, which no one could go to (believe me I tried). Some of it was televised, which was great. Ronaldo signed for Man United. Again. I went on a horsey holiday, without a horse....but plenty of mates and alcohol. A week later I got back on a horse for the first time, to the shock of my mother. 

Robert Durst was finally found guilty in September (check out The Jinx). North Korea is expanding their bomb making facilities, heartwarming. I took part in a 3 hour hack (and didn't die) with others in Portumna to highlight horses on the road. Mayo for Sam didn't happen. Again. Waterford city was named Best Place To Live in Ireland 2021. 

October saw a Facebook whistleblower leak internal documents to show they did like to just make money rather than be moral. Shortly after Facebook, Instagram and Whatsapp went down and the world were faced to with the dilemma of having to actually watch the tv or talk to someone. After all the wonderful publicity they changed to Meta and people still call them Facebook. After a year in which we saw far too much of Kourtney and Travis, he popped the question and the people debated if they cared or not. Meanwhile her sister got jealous and hooked up with Pete Davidson, after a fairly good gig on SNL. No Time To Die, the latest James Bond is finally released. I started to bring the boys in at night to save the grass, god I hate mucking out. I'm continuing to tip along riding, not doing anything to hard. 

November gave us a throwback when Garth Brooks concerts were announced in Croke Park. Again. He wants 5, again. BRITNEY IS FREE.  A teenager who was part of a militia group and travelled to Kenosha to 'take up arms and defend' Kenosha was found not guilty when he actually did kill someone. We saw a picture of BJ at Cop26 as the only person without a mask near David Attenborough, a national treasure. He also had a speech about.........Peppa Pig. I can't.....Marcus Rashford was awarded an MBE for being a ledge.

In 2021 I started to watch Drive to Survive, not expecting to get completely engrossed. I started watching the races again and holy moly was the last one enthralling! Verstappen won out in the end (Andy if you haven't watched it by now, I'm sorry). There were appeals and outrage, but by the end of the night Toto Wolf was crowd surfing at a party (the ledge). Rachael Blackmore whopped ass across the awards board, bringing home RTE Sportsperson of the Year and BBC Sports Personality World Sport Star in the one weekend! Some lad tried to break into Windsor Castle where the Queen was. Russia fines Google €85million over banned content, lol. The Irish lotto remains at €19 million. Since June.

Rusty and Greta look out the door
Here's lookin at you 2022




We lost many people, only one who I will mention, as I don't think it's sad. Betty White was a Queen of Queens, and she passed 3 weeks before her 100th birthday. I will leave you with this quote:

"Why do people always say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding."

For the equestrian gals

*may not be true

Comments

Popular Posts