Well, now

 

July hit and it was a return to work. To be honest, I was glad to have a bit of routine again. I was lucky to be working from home and had a phased return to work, meaning I didn't go straight back to full time. Being at home made it easier to get up and walk around and do some stretches as often as I needed. 

Cu Chulainn lying down
Chill factor

Work from home life

Work colleagues
Work from home views

I kept up the swimming, getting out 4 days a week most weeks. It's been great for my head just being able to do some sort of exercise. I never thought I was a sporty type, but not being able to do any exercise has really made me realise how much I like to be up and about and moving.

July was when I really started to get out and it was time I caught up with the rest of the country!! I ate out, went on spur of the moment hols, planned surprise birthday dinner for mam, and enjoyed myself.

Yay out with friends!
Long suffering Matty


I saw a lot of Lukers this summer!

I was lucky enough to be able to get a taste of campervan life when my friend Orla invited me up to Easkey for the weekend with herself and Charlie (the madra). It felt so good to be able to drive myself for a trip and my first proper long trip. I got out twice to stretch, as I shouldn't drive for too long. I was a few hours ahead of her so I went off the beaten track and followed the beautiful coast line all the way from Sligo out to Easkey- after a quick trip to Sligo town for sunglasses in Penny's and some unnecessary items from a charity shop run! 

Poor Orla had a stressful drive - I wouldn't envy her on those roads in a big campervan, so I poured the wine as soon as I could and we spent a few hours playing cards (I lost, a lot) and caught up on all the goss.

We had a fab weekend, despite the crappy rain on the Sunday. I couldn't walk very far anyway, so we drove down as far as Downpatrick head and had lunch in Ballina, with a few pitstops to absorb the amazing scenery.

Wild Atlantic Way - Sligo

Easkey pier

Charlie the dog

Charlie & Orla walking on the beach


Easkey, Sligo


I kept the horses in work, lunging and long reining them. Still love the long reining, Cu Chulainn just knows to get the head down and work, Fred takes a few minutes to get into the zone, but does eventually. I find it great for getting them to work over their back and muscle up, without my fat arse on top. As well as that they really listen to my voice commands. They are looking so well at the minute, especially Cu Chulainn! He's like a little tank.

Fred even helped someone tick riding a horse off their bucket list!


Fred looking well
Looking well

Girl on Fred
Bucket list ticked

I got to go to some shows, took videos and photos of the girls and helped when I could. I blew the cobwebs off the old 'good' camera to get back into the proper photos.

Dani jumping
Dani jumping Hilly @ Ballinasloe


A certain lovely lady that some of you may know, finally got to walk down the aisle and this time it wasn't Dunnes Stores!! I was lucky to be able to go to a surprise hen and help celebrate! Boy do I love a good surprise, she hadn't an iota!! #ProseccoInTheCarPark will never be forgotten!    
The Hen
The bride to be

Party in a carpark
Party in a carpark
 
A quick trip to Dublin to get the wig fixed for the upcoming big day, allowed me to catch up with some of my Dublin crew. Some of them went swimming in the Irish sea and I said hell no, I'm a pool girl 😆So I stayed behind and minded the dogs and the stuff. 
Kevin did a great job on my hair, first time at the hairdressers since March 2020!! He had a lot to 'fix', but he's a champ. 

Malahide beach

Malahide

Running away from her dogs

Sitting in the hairdressers
5g signal now available



Chasing sunsets
Chasing sunsets

We chased sunsets as the nice weather continued. Living my life in shorts and a tshirt and outdoors as much as I could - or the heat would allow!! Absolutely loving being able to walk around without pain or discomfort, even though I'm not quite there yet and the nerves in my legs are still acting up, it's a million miles better than before.

The Olympics kicked off and I got completely engrossed in that. The dressage was magnificent and the jumping was great, with loads of riders faulting. The team that won the jumping had out of 4 horses barefoot! The pentathalon...........well that was just a complete disgrace.

Nieces at the river
Nieces at the river

Catch up with the ladies
Catch up with the ladies


The big day arrived and I headed west for Turloughmore. It felt great to get properly dressed up and have an occasion to go to, and to meet new acquaintances and old. It was as spectacular as you would imagine. Serena thought of everything and it was a magical day. The weather even held off for it! So happy to see this great couple finally get their day out. Natually the bride and groom looked amazing! 

The wedding party
The wedding party

I went up to Dublin for my post op appointment and got the all clear from the Doc. He said he doesn't need to see me again and I can start back riding in a few weeks!! Hallelujah!! The physio gave me an exercise programme to do every day too. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

I decided to take a random Friday off and head for Clare, just drive along the coast. I hit for Kinvara and drove the whole coast as far as Kilkee, and if you can you should. It's so worth it. I stopped off in Lahinch for lunch and wolfed it down. Then that night I met some friends for dinner at Bunratty castle. I went around Limerick city the next day with Orla which was lovely, despite the rain. 

Selfie at Fanore beach
Fanore Beach

Fanore beach


I did a massive clean up of the stables, to get ready for winter. Mucked out, cleaned out the water drinkers, cleaned the shelves, put up saddle racks, and the best thing was I was able to do it all myself!! That was a huge accomplishment and it felt bloody great!! I also did a big clean up of the hen house (and it needs another one now :( ). I cleaned loads of tack and polished my boots - with a toothbrush!! - in anticipation of riding soon. 

The day finally arrived. I didn't tell anyone that I was doing it, I just decided myself. I had decided a while ago that I'd ride bareback first because the lads have really enjoyed the grass the last few months and are looking significantly wider!! So I wanted to mind my saddles. I also thought it would be better for my back as I'd be forced to sit up tall and wouldn't be tempted to do more than walk. So I put on Cu Chulainn's bridle and brought him over to the mounting block. Now, um, how do I get up?? Do I just throw my leg over or do I lay across and swing?! I lay across him and swung my leg over. He stood, quiet as a mouse. Then walked off. He hadn't had a rider on his back in 5 months and there he was, chill as could be. So I walked around the field outside, down the lane and around some of the massive field. Then I got back and asked mam to take my photo. She got a bit of a shock when she saw me up there!! It felt soooooooooo good to be back up! I had to get down and rush off then to a Course Designer seminar at Duffys, which was really interesting.

First time back on horse
Happy or wha

Up on Cu Chulainn

The aftermath!!


View between the ears
How I've missed this view!!

The next day I rode the two of them. I was on cloud 9. Loving life. Fred was great too. They both really took care of me. They're also both loving being back in work. The long reining has really stood to them and all I have to do is say woah and they halt, or slow down for me. I don't even mind that we're just walking! I've started doing a bit of lateral work in it and they just feel so good. Surprisingly I haven't been stiff or anything after riding. I've kept the swimming up, because it's so good for me, between the cardio training and overall workout it's really helped me.


Selfie with Fred
Smiles all round!!

Comments

Popular Posts