2020 : Lessons Learned


Bonfire
2020 Started so well......


Everyone seems to be celebrating the fact that 2020 has come to an end. I however am not. For one thing, it’s the end of a year, not the pandemic and we’re about to hit a really bad patch, sounding like the second wave of the Spanish flu- but hopefully not. Secondly, although it was a pretty dismal year in sooo many ways, it was probably a year I learned the most about myself and about others.


Lessons that I have learned from 2020:


Friends by the sea


Horses on the beach


Cherish friendship

Now, this is not a new concept to me and I have always cherished my friendships, but I think they really came into their own in 2020. I became closer to old friends and more distant to others and I made new friends through social media. Thank god for technology to be able to stay in touch and stay at home.

Sissco cushion
Sissco Cushion

Office chair
Office chair upcycle


Creativity

Like so many in the first lockdown, I was full of projects and get up and go. I upcycled some furniture, made face masks and other crafts. This motivation died a bit with the weather in June. One thing I learned is that I need the time to allow for creative projects but also the energy and motivation!! 



Selfie whilst hacking

Between the ears

Back to Basics

I took my riding back to basics and focused on myself and on transitions and quality of gaits, working on just walk and trot with Fred for a while. This worked really well and the boys really enjoyed it and I realised just how bad my position can get! 


Me running
It never got easier.....

Me after running


Take up new things

I started running this year! So much so that I bought actual 'running' runners! Now, that makes it sound like I ran a lot, I didn't. I ran regularly before work when I was working from home, but once I was made go back to the office it fell to the way side unfortunately. I managed two runs over Christmas. I would like to take it up again, not because I like it, but for fitness and mental positivity I found it good.

Stop sign


The importance of stopping

What I mean by this is there is no need to keep up with the Jones’. You don’t have to be doing everything and burning the candle at both ends just to keep up. Sometimes doing SFA is good. Take time to relax. Read a book. Watch a film or a whole series. 

Sunset


Enjoy the now

Well the pandemic has certainly taught us all to stop planning. Now, I’m not against planning, I love having plans, be it competitions or holidays. But now, it’s all about doing spur of the moment stuff, or with a weeks’ notice. Restrictions are continuously being lifted and then brought in again. Hence going for that coffee, that walk, that trip to Connemara is what you need to do when you can. Take joy in the now, don’t put it off (unless it’s mad expensive and then have a think! lol).


Remove negative/toxic people

Ain’t nobody got time for that!  I’m sure everyone has by now noticed who has been checking in with them and who hasn’t. But even if someone is in contact with you but has only negative things to say, that can really bring a damper to your mood. Sure the world is a scary mad place right now, but to be constantly going on about it is not helping anyone. I have unfollowed many accounts for this reason on social media.

Social media friends


Social Media

Social media can take a bashing, and I agree it can be warranted. But you take from it what you put in. Don’t put in negative thoughts and comments and don’t listen to others negativity. There were many days when it was the only contact we had with the outside world and it’s great to be able to stay in contact with people so easily. I have made new precious friendships on the platform Instagram. Horsey people going through the same ups and downs as the rest of us. People who check in when they see you’ve had a high/low that you’ve shared. 

It’s also been a great escape where I can look at lovely pictures of landscapes or watch people do DIY projects and motivate and inspire me to do my own. Or some that reignite a love of Gaeilge and make relearning it easier and fun. Or ones that educate me on how to do better for the planet and the climate situation. 

Twitter is great for keeping up on day to day world happenings. Did you know there was a US election this year?! If you didn’t you must have been in a cave and I’d go back till 2022 if I were you! 

Education

This year I returned to third level education after a loooooong absence. My god has it been TOUGH. Far tougher than I imagined. But also really rewarding and enjoyable. I’m not sure how much attention I would have given it had we not been in various lockdowns and other things being cancelled/postponed.

As well as this I started a professional course in Irish which has also been really enjoyable, although I regret not being able to give it as much attention.

I have learned that I can do these courses, although they do require a lot of time and effort from me because of how I learn (kinaesthetically). If you are looking to do something, even if it’s just to occupy your brain, I’d highly recommend looking at Springboard courses.


Zoom call
Zoom quizzes!!

Zoom

Well I could hardly end this without mentioning zoom could I? Zoom or any other platform allowing video calls has been so welcome this year. It’s allowed us to stay in touch without touching. It’s allowed my nieces to have nightly bedtime stories from their granny, which never happened before, and allowed them all to stay in regular contact with each other and show whatever games they’ve imagined up that day. 

They’ve allowed us to have drinking sessions, also called ‘quizzes’, and made things like book(wine) clubs and other clubs continue to have their meetings. It has allowed students, such as myself to safely continue with their education. So here’s a cheer for them!


Did you learn anything new last year?


Comments

Popular Posts