Dublin Horse Show time!!


After our excursion to Spruce Lodge, it was time for the annual trip to Dublin for the Dublin
Horse Show. The one stop shop for horsey folk to meet up, drink, laugh, judge and enjoy the
world’s elite jump, the showing pro's and demonstrations to beat the band.

Watching the Main Arena


The Simmonscourt International warm up

Like last year, I decided Thursday & Friday would suit me best because I had the two boys
entered into Tullamore Agri show, so would need Saturday to head home and prepare.
I organised to meet a few friends up there and then there’s always the few that you bump
into randomly that you never get to see from one end of the year to the next.
I also studied the schedule for the various rings and decided what I’d like to see and what I
couldn’t miss. This year I had one friend who had her horse competing in the Cob class,
after a successful summer of showing. That always adds to the excitement when you know
someone competing.

Caroline & Sonny


Wednesday after work I headed off into the sunset (well, technically not as I was headed
East, but ya know what I mean). I landed at my sister’s and set in place my plans for the
morning.
With my itinerary in tow, as well as water and supplies, I headed in nice and early on
Thursday morning. I’d brought the ‘good’ camera to capture as much as I could. I managed
to sneak through the shops until I got to the sunglasses one. I’d forgotten mine. Major faux
pas as the sun was splitting the rocks. I decided I couldn’t under any circumstances
(seriously who am I?!) continue without a pair, so first offload of money was for some shadey
shades.

I met up with my friend Caroline and checked in on her horse Sonny, due to compete on
Friday. He was staying over in the Simmonscourt area. More shops to avoid……..
In no particular order (mostly because of a lack of memory) these are what I caught on
Thursday. Young event horse classes, lightweight hunter, speed derby, ridden connemaras,
start of Cameron Hanley (really wished I’d seen this), side saddle and 3 year old loose
performance.

Leading the charge

Connemara class begins


Michael Harty & Cashelbay Rocket

Hoverboard mode engaged

Judgement day

Steps in time

Wash 'n go

Gotta love a coloured

As well as that I watched as many warming up as I could. This is where the real action is.
Watching how they warm up their horses, what they do when things go wrong, etc. It tells you a lot about a person how they react and how they treat their horse and groom.
Fascinating.
Up, up and away!!


No scope, no hope!

I met up with other friends Trish and Ashling too. As well as Serena who was flying the flag
(literally) for the stewards. Her other half was involved with the course building. I love
knowing people working at the show or competing, it makes it more personal.


I didn’t leave till after 7 I think it was and I’d spend the day walking around and very little
sitting. As well as carrying crap. I was knackered after!! Slept like a log.
On Friday, it was time for day two. I’d moved to my aunts house the night before, to get in as
much family time as possible. I woke up nice and early and got chauffeured by my kind
aunty – spoilt bleedin’ rotten, I know! I managed to squeeze in loads again today. The
masterclass with Mary King was fantastic. I also watched the international 7 & 8 year olds,
young riders, coloured class (of course!!), some showing and the Cob class, naturally. I was
in and out to Caroline and Sonny during the day, watching the prep work (not helping, it’s my
time off!). The weather was ALL over the shop. Roasting one minute, cold the next and then
lashing!!







Cameron lunging his horse before the Aga Khan later in the day

A groom's job is never over
The Aga Khan was due to clash with the cob class and it ended up clashing with the coloured class too, as it ran late. It didn't matter though, because I prefer to watch them warming up and you can see them jump on the big screens anyway.

I was ringside where the grooms are for the Cob class, clicking away as the horses passed
me by. I didn’t actually see Caroline until the class was over, and those classes take forever.
There was Sonny though, proud as punch going around being ridden excellently by Michael
Harty. They were pulled in in the top 3!! At Dublin!! Excitement levels are off the chart! I got chatting to the people beside me whilst the judges were riding, and their horse was lying in 2nd place. As we got chatting I started to realise that they kept their horse near me, very near me. In fact in the field down the road that we hack passed! As everyone says, it's a small world and the horsey one is even smaller!!

Sonny, loud & proud in the Ring

Grooming time!

Line up, line up

The judge gives him a pat after her ride.

The final line up

Rosette time!
Once all the horses were ridden by the judge and confirmation looked at by the other judge, they were sent out again.  Low and behold Sonny and Michael came in third! In Dublin!! In their first time at Dublin!! Fantastic!! There were hugs and kisses and pats on the back all round!!

After that, I glanced around the shops once more and did the final bits of damage. All together I got a pair of John Whitaker jods in grey, because they don't have to put white in SJI, which is wonderful. I also got a short, smart wax jacket. I also got some Quarter markers- it's about time I actually do them. Stop letting the boys down on that part!! I also got 2 dressage saddle pads in black, my favourite colour and a brown showing numnah for Cu Chulainn. I need separate ones for the two because there's nothing like putting one on a bay that's got white hair all over it!! Very fetching. I was very happy with my bargains, although I thought the shopping in general was fairly poor. I got picked up by my chauffeur (although not before I did more damage in the main hall!!).

And that's it. Another year, another Dublin Horse Show. Maybe next year I'll be competing..........but if not I hope I know someone that is!!

Comments

Popular Posts