Balmoral........We Came. We Saw. We Survived!!


Picking up from where we left off.........on Friday I organised a private lesson down the road. We worked on relaxation with Cu Chulainn. His walk was great, no tension on the reins, I can just walk him on the buckle. I think that's from all the hacking. As soon as I gather up the reins, it's like I'm gathering up his neck as well. As if he's an accordian and it's all pushed in........I need him to stretch out. So worked on slowly gathering the reins and me not pulling him constantly, instead just give and take with the reins, half halting - I don't even notice sometimes that I'm not giving him the reins. In the end we got him going lovely in the trot, really relaxing. When I introduced canter though, he got strong again and then the trot was all tense. But it's all learning. I can't expect him to be perfect, because his rider certainly is not!
Wearing his tshirt



Friday night/Saturday morning myself, Rusty and groom-in-training did the Darkness Into Light. With the weather so nice all week it made the sunrise beautiful and you could really see it, unlike last year. Rusty even got his own t-shirt!! So many people there and all for a great cause.
I went home for 2 hours kip after, myself and Rusty, flat out on the bed. Then off to work for the day.



After work I rushed home, put on the box and got CC in. We were off to hardcore instructor for another private lesson. Slightly sleep deprived. 😴
We warmed up in walk and trot and then moved on to more technical things to keep his head busy. His mind is very active and to stop him from tensing from outside elements, I need to keep his head busy. So we did lots of lateral work. We did leg yielding along the wall, and down the 3/4 line, as well as on a 20m circle. He was great at this. So we decided to go even harder and do a quarters/travers in. Which was even more difficult because his driver had never done one and was having difficulty understanding what to do. But we got through it and managed a few steps.
He went beautifully. I have never felt him go so nicely. It was magically riding him and I was on a complete high afterwards!! Completely awake now! 😃😃



Sunday was another fabulous day. I had a sleep in - well deserved I think! I slapped on the suncream and went down the road to practice our new found tension free riding. It was roasting. I rode CC first and did flat only with him. We had lovely transitions through all the gaits - even canter! Absolutely delighted, sweating, but delighted!
Next up; Full Set Fred. I hadn't ridden him much lately, so I only planned to do a bit on him, maybe a jump or two. Gave him a warm up and then popped a cross pole...........buck! Fred was feeling very well in himself! So we popped a few more jumps and he was on fire! I left him at that.
Got home and realised I'd gotten burnt on my back where I didn't put on cream 😳
Gave CC a bath that evening. He was nearly dry by the time he'd finished his dinner, it was still that warm.


Breakfast in the sun

Grassy - ass







Mouse patrol on strike



Why me???


Monday I was too tired to ride and I had planned on leaving CC off. I washed his legs and his tail again and shampooed him mane. Fred is starting to get jealous!
I got everything ready for off for Tuesday. Everything is clean and ready to go.



Tuesday, I worked a half day. I came home, had dinner and packed everything. Last thing to pack was himself.
I wanted to get up to Dublin before the traffic kicked in, there's nothing worse than being on the M50 in traffic, because cars are always pulling in to your breaking distance and traffic moving slowly is pure hardship when you have a horsebox, you can't get any momentum going.
I arrived at my friend Tack 'n Tails in good time. With only one horse, we flew up. I had planned on going to the beach to clean his legs and for a good stretch of the legs, but I didn't manage to go. We had a little hack about the field instead, which also didn't go according to plan - the horses broke out and went on the attack! CC got pretty freaked out.
He settled in nicely to his bed for the night. He loves a good straw bed. It was his first time away from Fred for the night in almost a year.
I was absolutely jaded by the time I got to my sisters. I was just about able for a cup of tea, and then it was off to bed, because alarm was set for4.30 😨
All packed & ready for road

Game face


D. Day.  Alarm went off. I took a moment or two and dragged my ass out of bed. I didn't have time for breakfast and just hit the road. I picked up Tack 'n Tails on route to the yard. I just had to put on his travel gear and put him in the box. He was a bit surprised to see us so early. We were on the road by 5.45.
The sunrise was fabulous, but not so much when you're driving and it's in your face. We got as far as near Balmoral in no time.........but then there were a few U-turns as we tried to figure out how to get to where we needed to be. Eventually we got in. The vet checked his passport and told me I was just lucky I was over the week with his vaccination - I was not aware of the 1 week rule for competitions so be warned folks!
The next issue was trying to find his stable. Met a man with a coloured horse who was also looking for a stable. In the end, we had to get one of the officials to find it for us. We ended up being neighbours. We left CC to settle in to his stable, while we went to get breakfast. We also figured out that we were right beside the old Maze prison! Incredible, having seen it in films and Reeling In The Years.
I came back to tack him up around 10 to see how he was feeling. He walked around the arena on a loose rein, but that was the last of the relaxation. He was just completely overwhelmed by it all and could not relax. I tried all our lateral work, but no, it didn't work. In the end I put him back in his stable and untacked him, then brought him around in-hand for awhile.
Myself & Tack 'n Tails had a nosey around the shops for awhile, see if there was anything interesting. We got chatting to a lovely man in Blue Grass feeds and I told him how hard it was to get his feed at home. He said he'd try again to get it in to my local agri shop, so fingers crossed.
I tacked up CC again after 12 to see if there was any improvement. He was much the same, so really I just hoped to kill off some of his energy. Of course today was a roasting day again and having to ride for house was exhausting. I put him away again and went about starting to get ready. At least he was clean enough. His legs needed cleaning, having shit himself in the arena. We got him ready and then I ran to the car to get my own gear and a banana because I was starting to fade! Nearly 2litres of water drank already! Tack n Tails had him sparkling. I really want to improve on my grooming/turnout abilities this summer - I'll need to with all the agri shows lined up!!
I had heard that the classes were running half an hour later, which was fantastic. Turned out not to be true though!! We only had 2 laps of walk done before they called us in to the class.
A girl that had been in the warm up with me earlier and had been going lovely - was so jealous- did not go well in the arena and had to retire, I felt so sorry for her. All the preparation that had been done.
CC was tense as hell in the class, but, I have to say he didn't spook or misbehave, so you have to take some positives from that. As to be expected we didn't place. But he gave the judge a nice gallop at least!
It was all a bit too much for him, but I'm still glad that we went. It was a good education, and like I said we survived!
We went to get so much needed food once the class was over. We oooeed and aaawwwed at the lovely fancy jeeps on show and went in to dreamland. We got chatting to the lovely lady from Baileys who was really informative and gave me a sample of a feed that might suit CC and help his tension and anxiety, so will put that in to practice. I also got a new pair of white jods, which I'm hoping will be a bit easier to clean/keep clean then my cotton ones, which are a bloody nightmare.
It was time to pack up and go. The clouds had formed and it was cooler now. It had been a long day and we still had a long enough journey back to Dublin. Funnily enough, we reached Dublin around sunset, having left at sunrise.........poetic, perhaps.
I was all picture, no sound by the time I reached my sisters. I had a cup of tea and caught up with social media on my phone as it had been out of action with no roaming.



The plumbers arrived at my sisters just before 7.30am the following morning, so there was no sleep in to be had. I got up and was still all picture, no sound. Eventually I was able to function again.
It was another nice day. I packed up CC and headed for the beach before we had to return to the Midlands. I really, really  miss the beach.
I wasn't sure how he'd be, but at least there wouldn't be many people around. It was only his second time ever at the beach and this time he was by himself. Well, I need not have worried. It was like bringing a duck to water, literally! He loved the water!! Drank it, walked in it, trotted in it.....I even managed to capture a few pictures and videos! We went for a gallop before we finished up and then headed for home.
He was only delighted to go back out to Fred in the field and Fred was delira to have him back. I had my dinner and a much needed nap. Then myself, Fred & Rusty went for a hack. CC is having a small holiday now, so the focus is back on Fred again.

 For some reason I can't rotate these videos, sorry!

Splish splash I was taking a bath....

Hand held phone + gallop = not easy!
Reunited!


Friday & Saturday we miserable days, so the boys had some chill time and just got fed. I don't think they minded somehow.


CC was delighted to get down and dirty!


On Sunday, I went to Flowerhill to meet up with a friend who finally got herself a horse after years of looking. I was absolutely delighted to hear she'd gotten one, and you'll never guess who he looks like! He is the image of Cu Chulainn! We'll be like twins when they meet up.
I brought Fred to Flowerhill for some fun because he loves his XC and we haven't been out somewhere like that in a long time. We got caught out in a bad shower near the start, but managed to stay fairly dry. We jumped as much as we wanted, being careful of slippy ground. He walked through the river and I saw a mad looking leopard print fish!! If anyone could tell me what that was?!?!
We saw some sort of bird of prey too, again, I'm not great with what it was.......
Fred had an absolute ball - as you can see in the video, ears pricked the whole time. He loves getting out and about.


flowerhill cross country

flowerhill cross country

Monday I got a text from my friend that my picture was in the June issue of Your Horse magazine. Wahoo!! Herself and another friend were in it and we were out hacking at home. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. I was out hacking Fred when I found out 😀😀
I made a start with my project horses Monday evening. I only managed to catch the connie, but got on well with him. Gave him a quick groom and fitted tack to him. Lot's of positive reinforcement. I can't wait to start riding him, he looks like he'll be fun.


Tuesday evening I brought Fred over the road for a jump lesson. The sun was out so we'd be jumping outside in the fab huge arena. Unfortunately though, he was a bit off, and short behind, so I got down and brought him home.
I worked with the 2 project horses. I have finally named them; Pable and Péna. For anyone not understanding these names, I'm currently on a Narcos obsession and it's all about Pablo Escobar.
This time I managed to catch Pable, the big cob. He was very wary and took lots of coaxing. We went on a walk down the lane in hand which took extra long because of his nerves, but he was happy enough by the end. He'll need extra work before I actually get up on him, but it'll be worthwhile in the end.


Péna in front, Pablo behind - getting a tail in the face!

Tomorrow I've a lesson booked with hard-core instructor, so it looks like CC will be finishing his holidays a bit early! Still, the run up to Stradbally is getting shorter.....
I have him entered into a show Sunday week, just a bit of in-hand, but nice to get him out and about and something for his confidence.

Comments

Popular Posts