Competitions continued......

It was now time to throw him in the deep end. We entered our first dressage competition. Just a small local(ish) one. I wasn't expecting a lot of him, I just wanted to get him out and about. My theory is the more exposure they get, the more relaxed they will be in the future at competitions, it won't be a stressful environment. Another good thing is that you're bringing them to a competition where you're not expecting rosettes/prizes, so you aren't feeling stressed/nervous either, making it more relaxed for both of you.

So we arrived at our competition with lots of time. So much time in fact that there was NO ONE around!! It was a venue I'd never been to before, so I wasn't sure where to go. Luckily, I'd convinced some friends to compete there also. He travelled well and was lovely and chilled in the box. But then the others were on before me, so he got a bit upset when he saw them warming up. He managed to turn right around in the box - I only have a half partition in, so this is not overly difficult, but still takes some imagination!! I took him out and started to get him ready. It was the windiest day in a long time and we were in a fairly open location. But he was fine with that. We did two tests. He was more relaxed in the second one. Scored in the 50%s in both, so I was delighted with that - considering we'd only cantered together for the first time the weekend before!!

I entered him that same week in a National Riding Club competition, again not for rosettes or prizes, but for the experience. I would have liked a bit more preparation for it, but I would have had to wait almost a year. We got to practice one test at the local competition, so that was handy. So without having done any ridden competitions, I entered him in the National. Brave? Not really. Stupid? 100% probably!!


In action


I had a lesson with my dressage Instructor the week of our first competition and the week of the National. She liked him, which is great!! Feels like a pat on the back - it's not only the horses that like that!!







The Nationals were interesting. It was a lot to take in for him and I was very proud. I aimed to get there with lots of time to get him used to the place. Unfortunately my jeep had other ideas and left me stranded on the side of the motorway for 30mins. Two horses just chilling in the back as people drove past at stupid speeds. Always good for the old stress levels. Eventually it started and we got back on the road.
We managed to get a decent-ish amount of time for a warm up and were lucky to have our first test on the other side of the site, away from everyone. The warm up didn't have too many horses in it, so that wasn't too bad.  He did very well in his first test, especially after a bad start with the judge when we didn't have our number on ( I blamed the jeep). It was Fred's turn after him. Poor Fred who was only back in work a few days. Didn't feel like our best test, but yet he scored well -he'd a bridle number on, I think that may have had something to do with it!! Lol.

For our second test, Cu Chulainn was a bit more tired and far more alert. Also, we were over in the busy section. The warm up was ridiculous, so we warmed up in a field and literally only went in when we were about to be called. It was too full of horses, and of riders who do not look where they are going!! A serious pet hate of mine!! For our second test we were in the middle of 3 arenas. Not ideal, definitely. He was fine for the first half and then he started to spook at things. The more he spooked the more I forgot where I was and mixed up the two tests. We got eliminated in the end - a first for me. But I was still very happy with him. After 4 years in a field, you couldn't expect too much more! Fred was also tired for his, but still scored really well! He got a nice 4th place for all his effort!! #starbar

After his introduction to dressage, Cu Chulainn took a break from it all and returned to in-hand competitions, his forte for the moment! And boy did he show off just how good he is at it all!!


He came second in the next two competitions he entered and paid for his winter feed!!




Comments

Popular Posts